Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > recollect remember     

recollect remember

Pedro14
Spain

recollect remember

Can anyone shed some light onto this sentence? "However, it is not for his skill in accountancy that he is ..... but for his pictorial guidebooks." The given options are a) reminded b) recollected c) remembered d) recalled . The correct answer is c) according to the key. Can anyone give me a clear explanation about how to use "recollect"? According to some dictionaries I have looked up, it is a synonym of "remember". Then, why it is not possible to use it in this sentence? On the other hand, in some of the sentences I have read online, its meaning is sometimes closer to recall. I�m a bit confused. Thanks for your help.

9 Oct 2019      

zoemorosini
United States

recollect = MORE FORMAL = remember information/access memory (never for remembering people)
      Ex.  As I recollect, the meeting was last summer. (=If my memory serves...)
      Ex.  I have no recollection/memory of the night in question.  (=I don�t recall)
remember = remember information OR people 
      Ex.  I remember him.  (=I know who he is, but it�s been awhile)
      Ex.  He was remembered by many for his generous works. (i.e. memorial after death) 
      Ex.  I don�t remember what she said.  (=I�ve forgotten)

I hope this helps! 

Your American friend,
Zoe 

9 Oct 2019     

Pedro14
Spain

Thanks a million Zoe for your clear explanation. Have a nice day!

10 Oct 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Recollect can sound folksy in some regions, as well. (Merriam Webster Dictionary).

10 Oct 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Also, it is always the word used in this context.

10 Oct 2019