Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Books needed.    

Books needed.

Katia del Pilar
Peru

Books needed.

Hi everybody!!!

Do you know any good website where I can get titles of good books to read?

They are for my students at different levels.

I work in a Catholic School, so they are not allowed to read every book.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Katia.

13 Mar 2009      

genzianella
Italy

Hi Katia! It surely depends on what level your students are ...
Last year, when I did my Proficiency, we had to read three books. One of them (the Cryptographer) I didn �t buy because it seemed boring to me (which was later confirmed by some fellow students of mine) but the other two were really enchanting.

1) THE GIRL WITH THE PEARL EARRING by Tracy chevalier. I love the book which is nothing like the film. A truly magical story, very romantic. It is a fictional story set in the 17th century about the painter Vermeeer and one of his maids  , young Griet. There is absolutely no sex involved or promiscuity , so it could be suitable for a catholic school. Even though the level might be a bit too difficult for your students, I still suggest you should read it. I was absolutely captivated by this book, well beyond my expectations!!!!!

2) GOODNIGHT MR TOM by Michelle Magorian: this is about a young boy evacuated from London during WW2 and sent to live in the countryside with an old man. From wikipedia: This is a poignant book about a young boy, who finds kindness and love in the most unexpected place, the home of an elderly man out in the English countryside. The old man, Mr. Thomas Oakley, heals and teaches the young boy, loses him for a while, and then finds him, saving his life and bringing him back to health and a happy life together.

I hope it helps! I love reading so if you need advice on this I �ll be more than happy!! Just send me a pm, ok? ciao!! 

13 Mar 2009     

libertybelle
United States

The Body by Stephen King. My kids love it. It �s about 4 best friends who hear about a dead body on the railroad tracks and set off in search of it. But it is really about 4 young boys growing up in the late 50 �s early 60 �s.  It �s a coming-of-age story. The film, Stand By Me is based on the book. (and very faithful to it also, so you can easily show the film afterwards).
Girl Against the Jungle is also a short but good story about a young girl who survives a plane crash in the Amazon jungle and how she finds her way home.

The Shamer �s Daughter
. A great book about a young girl who can see when people lie. A great fantasy book.

13 Mar 2009     

genzianella
Italy

Well, LibertyBelle, if you mention Stephen King you �re preaching to the choir here Clap!!!!
I absolutely ADORE SK, especially his first books. "Different seasons" is an absolute masterpiece, being "Apt pupil" my favourite story by far. Then "the body", "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" and then "the breathing method".
"Four after midnight" is an excellent one, though it might be too scary for young kids. the same goes for "It" and "the stand".
anyway, to get back to Katia �s question: yes, I agree with LibertyBelle, "the body" is a fabulous story and your kids will love it!!!

13 Mar 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Thank you!  And, The Body is his only "non-scary" book, in fact it �s about his youth.

13 Mar 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

For a good selection of interesting children books go here>

13 Mar 2009     

genzianella
Italy

Aftab, you never cease to amaze me !!!!! Clap

13 Mar 2009     

wolfy
Chile

Google has many book available for free download:

That �s the link to all the completely free ones, you can then search for fairy tales, etc etc...

13 Mar 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Hi wolfy,

Your link is pretty long. In order not to disrupt the front page use  (insert hyperlink) at the top.

Hugs for you and everybody

13 Mar 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Wolfy, I believe you can only preview these books.Yes there are thosuand available for preview but I haven �t been able to download any. If you know how please let us know.

13 Mar 2009     

Katia del Pilar
Peru

Thanks to you all.
Regards,

Katia

14 Mar 2009