Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Do children deal with too many homework all around the World?    

Do children deal with too many homework all around the World?

Aisha77
Spain

Do children deal with too many homework all around the World?

Hi everyone!  
I, as a mum, had many concerns when my son of just 7 or 8 years had to spend many hours a day to make his homework (that was many years ago). I saw many videos on youtube and also in the news, here in Spain, parents claiming the same concerns and demanding less homework. There is a country that everyone is capable to admit it is a model for any other country when talking about the spare time children have after school and how they deal with extracurricular activities (and of course homework), Finland. Now, I have stepped on an article written by a father with this same problem, and I wanted you all to have a look to it, and maybe make a bit of pressure to all those in charge of administrating this type of  studying programs, which I know well cannot do much as govs are behind all this, but since many countries have the same issues and we are many teachers here, maybe we could do something about it...
Here is the link:
Anyway, hope you have a look to the article, and let me know what you think, please.
Have a lovely day!
Aisha ;) 

18 Oct 2019      

s.lefevre
Brazil

This is really an interesting article and it considers not only the load of homework, but also the kind of things children and teens are taught today and how. I have always had this kind of concern. Instead of teaching how to write well, or to think critically about a text, students are asked to classify the sentences in adjectival or adverbial subordinate phrases, define parts of the speech and so on. Nothing against studying grammar, of course, but some subjects are for further studies in university and totally useless for children. This applies for other school subjects too. Why do students have to memorize all the affluent of rivers if you can get this kind of information in a second online? Why do they have to know all the botanical name of species and so on? Wouldn�t it be more interesting to teach them about how important those species are for our lives and how problematic the water issue is today? Instead of ranking the achievement in math between East and West, wouldn�t it be more interesting in teaching them something about the differences and think about how we could be more tolerant? Being good in math and science doesn�t mean being a better citizen or human being.
Assigning a lot of homework or letting the children memorize gives the impression that the work has been done. It is much easier than teaching them values that would avoid a lot of tragedy around the world.  

18 Oct 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

I couldn�t agree more in every single aspect of your message. I always say why don�t we teach children how to grow plants and make out of it a way of living instead of making them learn so many things which they will forget in just a bunch of years. And isn�t it better for them to have values rather than have so many tasks? 
Thanks for your reply Silvia, I really appreciate it!
Aisha ;) 

18 Oct 2019     

mfraczek
France

This is a really interesting article and I want to thank you Aisha for sharing it.
I spent hours with my two children doing homework and helping them learn useless things. It was not always easy and children are tired after a day at school.  I remember my son crying one evening when he was exhausted and had 22 irregular verbs to memorize. However, it helped me change the way I teach and it helped me realize that we give too much homework. That�s why I now tend to do a lot during my lessons so that my students only have to spend a quarter of an hour on their homework. They have many things to learn and they also need to have some free time to do what they like. I believe teachers can�t know the amount of homework a child has to do unless they have tried to help them with their homework.
Murielle 

18 Oct 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Thanks a million, Murielle! You had it worse, as you have two children... Children have many subjects a day, so even 15 min. every day is a lot for them if every single teacher gives them homework. I found this other article, don�t know if people are interested (it seems they aren�t), but if you are, here it is, it also interesting: 
Have a wonderful weekend, Murielle.
Aisha ;) 
PD: I don�t mean you are doing wrong giving children homework to do in around 15 mins. That is good from you, and as every teacher we have to, there are programs to fulfill, so ther�s no other way yet... 😘

19 Oct 2019     

manonski (f)
Canada

We don�t give homework at my school anymore. More and more schools here are letting go of them as well. 

21 Oct 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

@manonski: This is wonderful! Canada is an awesome country... I truly believe you guys are a model country in many regards. I wish we could be the same... Go on dreaming! 

23 Oct 2019     

01marissa
Spain

Things are changing. We don�t give homework anymore in my school ( primary school). We encorage pupils to read more or just to watch a film or a video. We think that spending five hours a day at school is enought ( eight if they have lunch in the scholl canteen), so after school they can do some extracurricular activities or just spend more time with their families doing other activities. Homework is very tiring and boring for children and also for parents who have been working all day. We don�t find significative differences between the time they had a lot of homework and now.
Some pupils (5th-6th graders) sometimes  like to do some research about the project we do in the school, as they work in groups they encourage each other. I think the main problem is when homework is compulsory, repetitive and boring. Every pupil has different interests so we try to give the best of themselves. 

14 Jan 2020