Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Word of the Day

Dear Lynne Cunliffe.

This is too late for the past WOD Competition, but I found it in a drawer on my Computer.

WORD OF THE DAY.

“Old Boys like to iterate”

This was an ordinary, popular, every-day, much-used phrase, frequently spoken in the English of the Middle Ages. However, during the Great Vowel Shift of 1644, when storage space in London was scarce, someone carelessly shifted the Consonants, and, worse, moved this altered aphorism to the basement of a Chinese Takeaway. There it remained, until Wednesday, the 31st of September, 1950, (April Fool’s Day), when the shop had a Curry Clear-out. The result?

The phrase, “Old Boys like to iterate”, over the passage of time, had been changed to one word, “OBLITERATE”.

Although I may be described as “an Old Boy”, fortunately, I do not have any of the errors, faults, or solecisms of iteration. I never repeat a phrase, or restate my argument, or recapitulate and go over previous points. In my opinion, anyone who echoes tautological repetitions and replays the same old record, is just like a parrot, rehearsing his well-worn speech, over and over again, time after time after time, without pause and without cease.

Les Douglas

29 Oct 2019      

douglas
United States

Funny thing Les, just yesterday I was wondering what happeend to you and how you were doing. I started to write a post to see if any had heard from you, but got distracted. It�s nice to see you back, I hope all is well.

Douglas

30 Oct 2019     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hello Les! Thank you for supplying the true meaning of obliterate. I accept that you are not an obliterator, but only when my arm is twisted. I am very much an ogliterator, and proud! That is, I am an old girl who loves to iterate. I particularly love iterating to Italy. So that makes me an ogitalliterator.  Dear Les, it’s always lovely to see you on here. 
Lynne x

30 Oct 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

Les, I must admit I am impressed! You might not even know but that word exists in Spanish, there are so many more... Since I�m trying to learn posh English I came to understand there is a vast number of quite common Spanish words that form that posh English language. This is not the case, though, I reckon most of the Spaniards won�t know what "iterar" means, but however I am really surprised how many connections are between these two languages...
And, Les you are a literate man, that is sure, thanks for all you teach to us,
Aisha ;) 
PD: Sorry Les, I didn�t tell you that "iterar" actually has the same meaning in English than in Spanish. 😊

31 Oct 2019     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Douglas:
It�s so nice to hear from you.

Several times, during the last year or so, I have had problems with my health, some serious and long-lasting. I had to cut down on anything that involved strenuous work. But, I�m beginning to get well again.

Thank you sincerely for your kind words.

Dear Lynne (Cunliffe):
As you know, I am a mere abecedarian in the vast world of words.

But, oh my goodness! What a joy to receive a reply here on ESLP, from such an eminent Woman of Letters as you. (By the way, I hope that you are able to continue to work for the Post Office, for many more years to come!)

Please, give my regards to all of your family ... especially, your uncle in Australia with one leg called Peter. (We never ever did discover the name of his other leg, did we?)

Lynne, you are one of the stalwarts of ESLP, and I am proud and immensely pleased to call you my friend. Take good care of yourself. Perhaps we may meet once more, if ever you come to visit me again in Newcastle. With my love. XXX

Dear Aisha:

Thank you for your very complimentary letter.
You probably have heard that the English word, ‘Posh’, means ‘rich.
However, many English speakers use this word in a slightly derogatory, insulting way. They are being sarcastic. They believe that people who speak ‘posh’, speak in an artificial, affected way, as if they were better than ‘ordinary people’. The word, ‘posh’, also refer to wealth, but it is said to be riches that were obtained in a shameful way. The money was frequently obtained due to the hard labour of poor, working people, who HAD to accept anything that was given to them in payment, however little.
It is said, (but there is no actual evidence for this), that the word, ‘posh’, (which began to be used about 100 years ago), refers to a ship’s accommodation, when sailing to India, a favourite travel destination at the time.
On a ship, the right side is called ‘the starboard side ’, (‘el estribor’ in Spanish).
On a ship, the left side is called ‘the port side’, (‘el babor’ in Spanish).
At that time, ‘rich’ people insisted on travelling ‘Port Out, Starboard Home’ = ‘POSH’.
Why?
Why did the ship’s crew have to specially organise the accommodation for all of the ‘rich’ passengers ...
SO THAT THE SUN DIDN’T SHINE IN THE PASSENGERS’ EYES!
I repeat, there is no actual evidence for the origin of the word, ‘posh’, but it’s a nice story, isn’t it?
You are right about Spanish having many words which are the ‘relatives’, (‘cognates’) of English words. That is one reason why English people who want to learn a foreign language are often advised that “Spanish is the easiest language to learn!”
Once again Aisha, thank you for your kind words. Perhaps we may meet again.

Les Douglas

1 Nov 2019