Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > grammar    

grammar

Pedro14
Spain

grammar

Hi everybody, Yesterday a student of mine who is really into football told me about a football team she is a great fan of. Since I had never heard of them - football is not to my liking - I asked her: Are they any good? The point is that she asked me the reason why I used "any" in the question. Could you shed light on how I could explain it to her? I am also working on a paraphrasing worksheet for my advanced students. It�s about modal verbs. I would like to add some sentences so that they have to use the estructures: may / might as well; may / might / could well / conceivably / possibly. The problem is that I can�t think of many natural contexts in which such expressions could be used. Thanks in advanced.

5 Nov 2019      

almaz
United Kingdom

When modifying an adjective like good,�any� is an adverb of degree (to determine whether some property or characteristic is greater or less than would be considered typical). It�s the equivalent of �at all�.

As for finding "natural contexts" for your modals, why don�t you have a look at some of the available text corpora such as the British National Corpus (BNC) or the Corpus of Contemporary American English (COCA)? You�ll find the modals you�re after in authentic contexts (�concordances�).

5 Nov 2019     

yanogator
United States

To add to Alex�s answer, we use "any" in questions when we expect a negative answer, or don�t know what kind of answer to expect. With that in mind, "Are they any good?" can be mildly insulting as compared to the neutral "Are they good?". However, this particular question usually doesn�t have a negative connotation, and is the most common way of asking about the quality of something.

In contrast, if your friend bought something advertised on television, you might ask, "Is it any good?", definitely meaning to imply that you don�t expect it to be very good. That implication is avoided if you ask, "Is it good?".

Bruce 

5 Nov 2019     

Pedro14
Spain

Thanks a lot for your clear explanations and help. Have a nice weekend!

9 Nov 2019