Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Use of YET    

Use of YET

anuska8
Spain

Use of YET

Hi mates!

I have problems to understand the several meanings of YET.

I give you some examples:

1) "Yet it has been found in some companies that by far the healthiest people are..."

2) "What is surprising is that we are yet to develop successful ways of dealing with..."

Thanks in advance! 

10 Nov 2019      

maryse pey�
France

- Have you done your homework ?
- Not yet Mum !

Not yet had he finished to eat that he rushed in the garden to play with his dog.

Here are 2 other examples.

10 Nov 2019     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Hello, Anushka:

My Chambers Thesaurus may help you, by showing you some �synonyms�, (words which have a similar meaning.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YET (adverb)
1) UP TILL NOW ... until now, up to ths time, up till then, by now, by then, now, already, as yet, so far, still.

OLD-FASHIONED STYLE = hitherto, heretofore.
FORMAL STYLE = thus far,

2) IN ADDITION ... still, even, too, also, further, furthermore, besides, moreover.

COLLOQUIAL = into the bargain.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YET (conjunction)
 1) BUT ... however, nevertheless, nonetheless, anyway, even so, all the same, just the same, for all that.
FORMAL STYLE = notwithstanding.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First, you must decide what Part Of Speech the word �YET� is. Then choose the correct Category.

So, your first sentence could be re-written: (conjunction)
"BUT, it has been found in some companies that by far the healthiest  people are ..."

And your second sentence: (adverb)
"What is surprising is that, UP TO THIS TIME, we are STILL to develop successful ways of dealing with ..."

I hope that this helps you.

Les Douglas

10 Nov 2019