Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > on the Bahamas or in the Bahamas    

on the Bahamas or in the Bahamas

class centre
Belarus

on the Bahamas or in the Bahamas

Dear teachers! I  urgently need your help. In or on the Bahamas? Why?
Thanks in advance

19 Nov 2019      

Marcoreus
Mexico

in the...

19 Nov 2019     

class centre
Belarus

Thanks for the reply. But can anybody tell me why? I am a teacher and the sts are waiting for explanation I can find nowhere. Thanks.

19 Nov 2019     

maryse pey�
France

Bahamas is a plural and that is why you need the article THE.

IN because you can say "IN THE COUNTRY OF THE BAHAMAS" as you say "IN CANADA" or "IN THE USA" or "IN ITALY".
IN THE COUNTRY OF is not expressed but it is logical in the notion.

May an English colleague confirm or complete please ?

19 Nov 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I can confirm that we say "in the Bahamas", but I am not finding an online resource to verify a rule, except this one .https://www.mmmenglish.com/2017/10/03/prepositions-of-place-in-on-at-by/

Michael Swan�s Practical English in Usage says "in is used for position inside large areas and in three-dimensional space (when something is surrounded on all sides) He says "on is used to talk about position on a line (for example a road or a river).

A Comprehensive English Grammar for Foreign Students by C.E. Eckersley and J.M. Eckersley  gives examples "She is the happiest woman in England,"and "He lives in London", and "The train arrives in London at 6 oçlock."

So," He lives in the Bahamas" would suggest, in my opinion,  that he is surrounded by the Bahamas (the people, the culture, geographically).

"He lives on the Bahamas"  sounds incorrect to me and returned no results in Google.

--Mary 

19 Nov 2019     

class centre
Belarus

thanks a lot dear teachers for such full and comprehensive explanation. Now I have it clear.

19 Nov 2019     

FrauSue
France

We always use �in� with geographical place names when indicating position - in London, in the UK, in Africa. �The Bahamas� is the name of a group of islands which constitute a whole country, so �in� is correct.
�On� is used with the word �island� itself or with the name of a single island - on Mull, on Grand Bahama island. However, �in� can also be used with island names to indicate geographical position - we had a lovely holiday in Jersey.
With planets and moons, you must use �on� - is there life on Mars? However, you use �in� to refer to the interior of planets. 

20 Nov 2019     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Love the additional information especially about planets, Frau Sue!

20 Nov 2019     

FrauSue
France

Just in case someone wants to talk about their holiday in space!

20 Nov 2019     

FrauSue
France

Just in case someone wants to talk about their holiday in space!

20 Nov 2019     

class centre
Belarus

absolutely clear and informative. New things are also useful to know for the students.Thanks a lot dear friends!

21 Nov 2019