Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help needed    

Help needed

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Help needed

Dear colleagues,

I struggle again with a transformation made by a student on a recent test.
 My sentence to transform was:

Harlitt�s chocolate factory has closed down. It used to employ over a thousand people. 

and students were given a key word : EMPLOYING

I expected the sentence either with a relative or participle clause:

Harlitt�s chocolate factory, (which was ) employing over a thousand people, has closed down.

I also got the answer:

Employing over one thousand people, Harlitt�s chocolate factory has closed down. 

Is this grammatically acceptable and is the meaning still the same?

Thank you in advance for your help. 

2 Dec 2019      

dazmio
Poland

It explains to us the same meaning and there is nothing grammatically wrong in this sentence.

2 Dec 2019     

ana san vicente
Spain

I think the second sentence is more correct

2 Dec 2019     

Aisha77
Spain

To my understanding, the second sentence has a slightly different meaning, like saying that the factory was being closed WHILE employing a  thousand people approximately. And the original sentence means that the factory was closed even though it hired more or less a thousand people since it was opened...
That is what I think nonetheless... 

2 Dec 2019     

FrauSue
France

The question seems odd to me.
I would naturally rephrase it as: 
Harlitt�s chocolate factory, which employed over 1000 people, has closed down.

However, the question requires students to use �employing� so I think either of your alternatives is correct.
�which was employing� really doesn�t work, though. Is it because �employ� is used more like a stative verb here? Les or Bruce might know!

2 Dec 2019     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

I suggest:

"Harlitt�s chocolate factory, which had been employing over a thousand people, has closed down".

"It is difficult to give rules for the choice between the to-infinitive clause ...  and the ing-clause." ("An A-Z of English Grammar & Usage, Geoffrey Leech, et al, page 234, 2001.")

"But avoid using two to-infinitives or two ing forms one after the other." Page 235.
Examples|: "I would like to begin studying as soon as possible."
                                                      to study   X
                   "They are beginning to improve the road."
                                                     improving   X                                         

In my sentence I have used the Past Perfect Progressive/Continuous Tense.

I see it as "An action began in the past and was continued until another action occurred". ("Using Tenses in English: Past, Present, Future. Manik Josh, page 62, 2014".)
Example: "She had been living in Washington for four years before she left for Paris".

I hope that this helps.

Les Douglas

3 Dec 2019