Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A strange answer at a competition    

A strange answer at a competition

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

A strange answer at a competition

Dear colleagues,

I�m struggling with a statement from the English language competition.
Namely, the task was to say whether the statements were T, F or NG. 

Here is the statement:

The Syrian children had difficulties pronouncing the words in Shakespearean language. 

The statement is referring to the following paragraph: 

It is impossible to look at Sarah Lee’s photographs of actors from the Globe theatre in London playing Hamlet at the UNHCR Zaatari camp near the Jordanian border and not feel moved. Ophelia subsides into madness, captured by the cameraphone of a Syrian refugee; Old Hamlet and another cast member squint through a barred window as their makeshift theatre is shrouded by a sandstorm. It’s far from the first time, of course, that Shakespeare has put in an appearance in marginal spaces or conflict zones, and not even the first time his plays have been performed in this camp: in March last year, more than 100 Syrian children mounted their own Arabic-language production of King Lear , directed by the actor Nawar Bulbul. Like Hamlet, Lear is a tragedy whose themes – insanity, war, sundered families, loss of land – reflect the experience of many refugees.

I can�t find the answer and I would be really grateful if you could help me. According to the given key, the statement is FALSE.
Is it really?

Thank you for your answers. 

6 Jan 2020      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It looks like a trick question to me! They didn�t attempt the Shakespearean words, they spoke in their own Arabic language. So, it is false. 
Edit: Wow, wish I could have been there to see that!

6 Jan 2020     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Dear Cunliffe,

How do you know they didn�t pronounce any of the words in Shakespearean language or try to do so? Is it possible that the answer is not given? The paragraph doesn�t say anything about English or Arabic pronunciation, so how can it be false?

7 Jan 2020     

douglas
United States

in March last year, more than 100 Syrian children mounted their own Arabic-language production of King Lear

The play was in their own language, so they didn�t even hear the Shakespearean English--the answer is: False

7 Jan 2020     

Ignatz
Hong Kong

I think it should be not-given. The production was in their native language, but they may have tried to speak the Shakespearrrn language during rehearsals etc..and had trouble then. To say it is false suggests that the kids were able to pronounce it without difficulty.
But then, I always nit-pick at T/F questions and often used to get marked wrong for it! 

8 Jan 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

True or false exercises usually function at a fairly basic level, but occasionally, I guess, as  here, they require inference, a higher level skill. This is why I thought this was a bit of a trick question. But I think we must not always over analyse! 

8 Jan 2020     

Ignatz
Hong Kong

Yes, a bit of a trick question, or poorly written, and much too easy to over analyse!

I also would love to have seen this Shakespeare production, so I did a search, and found this:

Only a few minutes of the actual performance, but very moving. What these kids have been through! 

Now back to work :) 

8 Jan 2020     

Paopolpetta
Italy

The answer is not given since there is no reference to that issue in the text

9 Jan 2020     

Ignatz
Hong Kong

Paopolpetta, yes. Best answer so far. If we stop overthinking, the definition of not given is that there is no reference to it in the text. 

9 Jan 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Wow, Ignatz, thanks for finding that clip. What a fabulous setting and what a great guy is Nawar Bulbul! Great kids, despite everything. 
@ zvonka, trust my answer (and Douglas�s). They didn�t struggle with Shakespearean language because they performed it in their own language. How do I know they didn�t try to pronounce any of the Shakespearean words? In the same way that I know they didn�t sprout wings and fly over the mountains. I guess they might have, but it wasn�t referred to here. In fact, it was stated that they performed it in their own language. 
Lynne  

9 Jan 2020