Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Happy Families Game    

Happy Families Game

glutenfree
Poland

Happy Families Game

Hello everyone,
I’ve come across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GDb1lK5YvM and I’m wondering about other ways to ask this question:
Do you have the brother in the monster family?
Thanks in advance,
Glutenfree

11 Jan 2020      

FrauSue
France

You could simplify it by splitting it into two sentences or choosing a simpler structure.

I�m collecting the (GROUP) family. Do you have the (MEMBER)? --> Yes I do / No I don�t.
I would like the (MEMBER) in the (GROUP) family. --> I don�t have that card. / I have that card.
The easiest option is: I would like (MEMBER) (GROUP). --> I don�t have that card. / I have that card.

So your dialogue would go like this:
Hello. I would like Mummy monster.
Sorry, I don�t have that card. I would like sister zombie.
I have that card. Here you go. I would like Daddy pumpkin. (etc.)

With this activity, make sure that you model it really well before starting, and that all the key structures are written on the board for the pupils to refer to during the game. You could have a rule that if they speak their native language at all, they have to forfeit a card to the person who calls them out.

11 Jan 2020     

glutenfree
Poland

Thank you so much for your response and explanation, FrauSue.
It was very helpful!

17 Jan 2020