Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar    

Grammar

qismat
Pakistan

Grammar

Change phrases into claused 1.The old car, giving out smoke, drive off to market. 2. On reaching home, he got ready. 3. He told me, the whole truth. 4. The man, in the street, is thief.

25 Jan 2020      

yanogator
United States

The instruction isn�t quite clear, but here is my attempt: The first two are already complete sentences, except for the need for some adjustments in the first one. It wouldn�t make sense to make each of the phrases in them into clauses.

1. The old car, giving off smoke, drove off to the market.
2. On reaching home, he got ready. 

3. He told me the whole truth.
4. The man in the street is a thief.

Bruce 

25 Jan 2020     

gorzat
Poland

As it looks like a grammar exercise on clauses, I would change the sentences like that: 1. The old car which was giving off smoke drove off to the market. (Participle clause into relative clause) 2. When/As he reached home, he got ready.(time clause) 3. What he told me was the whole truth. (Noun clause as the subject) 4. The man who is in the street is a thief (relative again)

26 Jan 2020     

qismat
Pakistan

Thanksss

26 Jan 2020     

yanogator
United States

Thanks, gorzat. That makes so much sense.

Bruce

26 Jan 2020