Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help needed!    

help needed!

medamine
Tunisia

help needed!

please, I need a native or non-native speaker to check the following piece of writing;

I still remember it clearly, as if it was yesterday… crying all alone in my room, feeling ignorant, weak, simply left behind. It was in the summer of 2017. I was invited to the summer math camp; a four-week program of preparation for both pan-African and international mathematical Olympiads known as ‘PAMO’ and IMO.” ... Yes, why not? I am the best in my class after all”. This is what I told myself.” You have a bright future before you, kid.’’ My coach’s words were motivating. Yet, starring at problems without having any idea jumping into my mind, listening to the team members discussing their solutions without understanding a single word, hearing them claim that they do not have enough time to explain such advanced concepts to me... All of these devastated me. It was a four-week program, but the first one was enough to make me admit defeat. I went back home. I started preparing for an easier contest; the final of the international championship of mathematical and logical games. I won the seventh place. I gained confidence once again. I decided to get out of my comfort zone. I downloaded many files, extended my mathematical knowledge, solved a lot of problems, and attended more than twenty mathematics camps organized by the Tunisian association of mathematics competitions and culture known as ‘ATCCM’. The bitter tears that once streamed down my face reminded me to work harder. This is how I earned an overall of thirty-four medals in national mathematical competitions and contests as well as a bronze medal in the Arabic mathematics Olympiad, two silver ones in two consecutive editions of PAMO, and, two honourable mentions in IMO with only two points apart from the bronze medal in the last participation. Mathematics is actually my second favourite subject. I have just discovered this fact a few months ago when I finished writing a program for the hardest problem in my worksheet. At that very moment, I felt completely different. Using all my problem-solving skills while coding was unbelievably satisfying. I searched through different websites. I was filled with joy perceiving how important mathematics are in computer science; algorithms, database, data analysis, combinatorics, encrypting using primes (I love prime numbers!). I cannot emphasize enough how the story of the winning team of Microsoft Corp.�s annual global student technology competition in 2009 inspired showed me how creative computer science students can make a difference. Among my love for mathematics and computer science, I also had strong feelings for literature and arts, especially music. I discovered the power of words after writing a novel in French and two in Arabic. I cannot forget how excited I was when knowing that Dubai Cultural Magazine intended to honor me for one of my novels. I cannot express how proud I was when I have been selected in the music national team for students. That stress, enthusiasm and fear just before getting on the stage of one of the most prestigious theaters in Tunisia made playing music even more joyful. All these experiences forged my personality teaching me unforgettable lessons. However, I believe that I still have a lot of experience to gain, different lessons to learn, challenging obstacles to overcome and your university is the most appropriate place for me to grow and become the game-changer I dream to be."

27 Jan 2020      

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

I still remember it clearly, as if it were yesterday, crying all alone in my room, feeling rejected, weak, simply left behind. It was in the summer of 2017. I was invited to the summer math camp - a four-week preparation program for both pan-African and international mathematical Olympiads known as ‘PAMO’ and IMO.” Yes, why not? I am the best student in my class after all”. This is what I told myself.” You have a bright future ahead of you, kid,’’ my coach’s words were motivating. Yet, staring at math problems without having a clue, listening to team members discussing their solutions without understanding a single word, hearing them claim that they do not have enough time to explain such advanced concepts to me were devastating realities. It was a four-week program, but the first week was enough to make me admit my defeat. I went back home. I started preparing for an easier contest: the finals of the international mathematical and logical games championship. I got the seventh place; hence I gained confidence once again. I decided to get out of my comfort zone. I downloaded plenty of math files in an effort to extended my mathematical knowledge. I solved a lot of problems, and attended more than twenty mathematics camps organized by the Tunisian association of mathematics competitions and culture known as ‘ATCCM’. The bitter tears that once streamed down my face just gave me impetus to work much harder. That is how I earned an overall of thirty-four medals in national mathematical competitions and contests, a bronze medal in the Arabic Mathematics Olympiad, two silver ones in two consecutive  PAMO tournaments, and two honourable mentions in IMO with only two points apart from the bronze medal in the last participation. Mathematics is actually my second favourite subject. I have just discovered this fact a few months ago when I finished writing a program for the most challenging problem on my worksheet. At that very moment, I felt completely different. Using all my problem-solving skills while coding was unbelievably satisfying. I searched through different websites. I was filled with joy perceiving how important mathematics is in computer science, algorithms, database, data analysis, combinatorics, encrypting using primes (I love prime numbers!). I cannot emphasize enough how the story of the winning team of Microsoft Corp.�s annual global student technology competition in 2009 inspired showed me how creative computer science students can make a difference. Among my love for mathematics and computer science, I also had strong feelings for literature and arts, especially music. I discovered the power of words after writing a novel in French and two in Arabic. I cannot forget how excited I was when knowing that Dubai Cultural Magazine intended to honor me for one of my novels. I cannot express how proud I was when I have been selected in the music national team for students. That stress, enthusiasm and fear just before getting on the stage of one of the most prestigious theaters in Tunisia made playing music even more joyful. All these experiences forged my personality teaching me unforgettable lessons. However, I believe that I still have a lot of experience to gain, different lessons to learn, challenging obstacles to overcome and your university is the most appropriate place for me to grow and become the game-changer I dream to be."

I did the first part, which is highlighted in blue. Some ideas need more alaboration. You should have a good senese of audience when writing. 
If you need more help, you can contact me.
Regards, 

28 Jan 2020     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

feeling rejected,: I now understand what you mean. 
you can say: being in the doldrums 

28 Jan 2020     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

You need to tell me the purpose of writing such a text? And you need to identify your audience? 

28 Jan 2020     

medamine
Tunisia

thanks a lot si nasreddine, actually it is a statement written by one of my student to a   university and asked me to check it for him,

28 Jan 2020     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Nasreddine:

You have very kindly spent a lot of your valuable time helping Medamine, a fellow-member of ESLP. Thank you, and congratulations.

May I respectfully bring to your attention, three sections of your blue script.

1)  "I downloaded plenty of math files in an effort to extended  EXTEND my mathematical knowledge."

2) " ... with only two points apart  SEPARATING ME from the bronze medal in the last participation."

3) "I have just discovered  "I JUST DISCOVERED this fact a few months ago."

Once again: "Thank you, and congratulations."

Les Douglas 

28 Jan 2020     

medamine
Tunisia

Thanks a lot for your feedback Mr Douglas

28 Jan 2020     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

Les Douglas
That�s what I call �stupid mistakes�  Douglas. I didn�t pay attention. Sorry for that. 
Anyways, a statement of purpose for university admission has to meet certain criteria. I don�t think what the student has come up with is a successful statement of purpose. what you student has written falls into the narrative type. A statement of purpose should include a gist of who you are, who you want to become, and how ready you are to pursue a certain course in any educational institution.

29 Jan 2020