Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Translation of a word    

Translation of a word

an43
Spain

Translation of a word

Can anybody help me with the British word for "Conserjería de una escuela o colegio"?. The room at school or High School where people are in charge of photocopies, give keys,...

29 Jan 2020      

spinney
United Kingdom

In some British schools, it used to be called the "Bursar�s Office." I think that means something to do with money and payments in the US though.

29 Jan 2020     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

an43: The most obvious  translation for ´Conserjeria, would be ´Reception´.

I think that virtually every school and college in the UK has an area or room marked "RECEPTION". The Receptionist (man or women) is the person behind the counter. Here you can usually get photocopies; keys to rooms; advice on lessons; etc.

Sometimes, there is a room called ´The Print Room´, but this is usually only for photocopying.

However, generally speaking, I think that RECEPTION would be the British choice of the name.

I hope that this helps you.

Les Douglas 

29 Jan 2020     

douglas
United States

We just called it "the office" when I was attending elementary/middle/high school. If we were getting in trouble, we were sent to the principal�s office (a separate office in the same area).

29 Jan 2020     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Spinney, you are right that in the US the Bursar in a university setting handles finances. 

In my neck of the woods, we also called it the school office or simply office, as Douglas shared. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=visitors+report+to+school+office&form=HDRSC2&first=1&cw=1117&ch=382

29 Jan 2020     

morenopalomares
Spain

In our bilingual secondary school  we call it the Front Desk and the stall who work there are Front Desk clerks.

29 Jan 2020     

morenopalomares
Spain

In our bilingual secondary school it is called the Front Desk and the staff who work there are the Front Desk clerks.

29 Jan 2020     

FrauSue
France

I think I would just call it �the school office.� 

31 Jan 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Most secondary schools are not actually set up like that. There is usually a reprographics room where you go for photocopies and to get help with displays. There is a medical room or sick bay. The head teacher or principal has an office, as do year heads or student managers and subject leaders. Anything else will be dealt with at Reception. At Reception, there is an office, a front desk and you will get help with any queries. 

31 Jan 2020     

savilla
Australia

I�ve worked at a school in Chile with a room like that. I think something like Resources Room would be a good equivalent. I loved the staff in that room; they were amazing!

31 Jan 2020     

pilarmm
Spain

We call it Reception. Hope it helps.

2 Feb 2020