Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "The Ways of Not Getting Along" or "Ways of Not Getting Along"    

"The Ways of Not Getting Along" or "Ways of Not Getting Along"

dobrawaa
Poland

"The Ways of Not Getting Along" or "Ways of Not Getting Along"

Which one of them sounds better? I think that they both are correct. What do you think?

Thanks for help
Ania

2 Feb 2020      

redcamarocruiser
United States

How to not get along or ways to not get along sounds better to me, but if you want to use the preposition �of� both of your examples are understandable.

2 Feb 2020     

dobrawaa
Poland

Thanks a lot for your help

2 Feb 2020     

vickycifuentes
Spain

"Ways" have to be with no article, as you are talking in general and in plural.
To make the infinitive in negative, "not" has to be placed BEFORE the infinitive...it is a grammatical rule...

So it would be:

WAYS NO TO GET ALONG. 

2 Feb 2020     

anitarobi
Croatia

Agreeing and disagreeing

If you say �ways not to get along�, it�s as if you are teaching them not to get along with people:). Unless I have misunderstood what your material is about. But I believe you are talking about expressing ways to agree or disagree with someone. Best of luck whatever you do.

2 Feb 2020     

aperkins4
Japan

I agree with Mary.

`How not to get along` and `Ways to not get along` both sound more natural.

However, both of your examples are grammatically correct.

`The ways of not getting along` implies that there is a certain list which has all the available options. These are THE ways to 
not get along.
`Ways of not getting along` is a list of SOME possible ways to not get along. There are other ways which are not on the list. 

2 Feb 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Ways of not getting along would indicate an observation, whereas Ways to not get along - which does sound more natural - sounds like a list of instructions to follow. Hopefully, that would be a fun article, not serious!

3 Feb 2020     

dobrawaa
Poland

Thank you again for your input. It�s actually a title of a CD recorded by my student :)

3 Feb 2020