Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Use of linkers    

Use of linkers

emnaguefrech
Tunisia

Use of linkers

Hi everyone! I�d like to ask you about using and or but or both in the following sentence :try surfing the net, it�s like using an encyclopedia index,..... it�s much more fun. Thanks😊

9 Feb 2020      

BLACK MOON
Tunisia

try surfing the net, it�s  like using an encyclopedia index and it�s much more fun.

9 Feb 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Using and is neutral; using but implies that an encyclopedia index is not much fun at all. 

9 Feb 2020     

Engteachar
Argentina

"But" shows contrast, meaning that using an ecyclopedia is not as fun as surfing the net.

9 Feb 2020     

yanogator
United States

Actually, either choice implies that the index isn�t fun, since the internet is "much more fun". Either choice is correct, but I would use "and", because the sentence is giving two good things about the internet, without really intending to contrast them.

Also, you need a semi-colon after "Try surfing the net", since you are connecting two independent clauses.

Bruce 

9 Feb 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Just as an afterthought, I used to have a headteacher - an English graduate, none less - who had a thing about using but. He asked us all to think very hard before using but because of its negativity (his word). So, he was a great headteacher and a bit weird. 

10 Feb 2020     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Great example, Lynne! 😊

10 Feb 2020     

emnaguefrech
Tunisia

thank you all so much!

10 Feb 2020     

titty78
Italy

thank you all so much!