Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Vocabulary    

Vocabulary

Pedro14
Spain

Vocabulary

Hi there, I wonder if there is a funny expression to express that someone is ubiquitous.In Spain there is an expression which says:you are the bride at a wedding, the baby at a christening and the corpse at a burial. On the other hand, I would like to know if there is an expression to mean that has the ability to deal with any problem that may encounter. Maybe he knows how to paddle his own boat? In Spanish we say sacarse las casta�as del fuego. Thanks a million for your help. Have a nice weekend.

28 Feb 2020      

savilla
Australia

It�s not the same, but "social butterfly" is similar, I think. I am guessing that the Spanish expression is a bit negative and that you�d rather the person wasn�t everywhere? Calling someone a social butterfly is more neutral. It�s just an observation that they get along well with others and like to talk to everyone.

A person who can deal with any problem? A bright spark, a walking encyclopedia, s/he�s as smart as a whip? 

I hope you have a nice weekend too!

28 Feb 2020     

maryse pey�
France

Well I don�t speak Spanish but we have in French an expression that, I think, is similar to "sacarse las castanas del fuego". This expression is "sortir les marrons du feu" (put the chesnuts away from the fire) and it is really pejorative as the meaning is "a person actually does the work and someone else is congratulated and benefits of the good results".

29 Feb 2020     

Jayho
Australia

For the second, a fount of all knowledge perhaps

29 Feb 2020     

FrauSue
France

If you�re criticising someone for seeming to always be everywhere, you can say that they keep turning up like a bad penny. (Links here: https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/turn-up-like-a-bad-penny or here: https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/turn+up+like+a+bad+penny)

I would use �smart as a whip� etc. for someone who knows a lot.
For someone who is always lucky and seems to get out of bad situations, you can say that they �always land on their feet.�
For someone who doesn�t need help, you can say that they �can take care of themself.� (Sophie�s going backpacking for a year all alone. But she�ll be fine, she can take care of herself. / John�s trapped in an earthquake zone, but he�ll get home somehow. You know what he�s like, he can take care of himself.)

None of these seem to exactly correspond to your nice boat paddling idiom, though. 

1 Mar 2020     

redcamarocruiser
United States

He can handle anything that life throws at him.
She is here there and everywhere. (Love FrauSue�s bad penny idiom).�
She could sell ice in a snow storm.

1 Mar 2020     

Pedro14
Spain

Thank you all for your quick replies. Your help is really valuable! Have a nice day! Pedro

3 Mar 2020     

douglas
United States

Not exactly what you are looking for, but close:

He�s a "Jack of all trades".

6 Mar 2020