Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with power point.     

Help with power point.

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Help with power point.

Hi guys,

I hope you are bearing up in these strange times. I am compiling a power point. I like students to have opinions about things, as language teachers, don�t we all? It�s good when students can say what they like and don�t like, but it is imperative for them to add �because�... 
My ppt is asking students to choose between two things and justify their choice...for and against, more or less. I will rob Monique�s ideas, that is expected of me, but it would be nice to have a joint effort.
My request: can you come up with one topic and give between 3 and 5 reasons FOR and at least 3 reasons against. I haven�t explained this very well and I am English
So far, I have got: dogs vs cats; zoos for and against; mobile phones in class for and against; apples or oranges;  city or countryside.

So - can you help me?  Over to you!

Lynne  

27 Mar 2020      

spinney
United Kingdom

My first choice was a no-brainer 
Quarantine: For - you can catch up on your reading, you can get lots of little jobs done that you have been meaning to do, you can bingewatch films and TV series, you have plenty of time to hone your cookery skills, you can brush up on a language.
Against - it�s mind-numbingly boring, you suspect your wife is trying to poison you (cabin fever and paranoia), there appears to be a zombie apocalypse going on outside the window.
 Exercise: For - it is good for you, you will live longer, you will be happier, you will look better,
Against - it can be expensive if you want to buy the right clothes or join a gym, finding the time is difficult, you can injure yourself. 
Going vegan: For - it is better for the planet, it is less cruel on animals, it is healthier, it forces you to be more creative with your food.
Against - you have to think before you eat, NO MORE CHEESE!!!! the food can get boring.

27 Mar 2020     

karagozian
France

I AM AGAINST !!!!!!!! @ Lynne

27 Mar 2020     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Lynne;

Working alone = independence; solitude; quiet; no interruptions; no need to dress appropriately.
Working with others = Co-operation; sharing ideas; good company; share food; allocate responsibility to individuals.

Working in a cold climate = can be healthy; no flies, mosquitoes, etc. smaller population to contact; less traffic; usually, little flooding.
Working in a hot climate = you wear fewer clothes; you can sunbathe, swim, etc; usually, a large population to contact, so more clients; usually travel is easier; more varied food to eat.

Working with animals = emotionally more satisfying; you can choose a suitable house pet; usually, household pets are easier, cheaper to feed. you are conserving nature; you are conserving life.
Working with people = socially, more satisfying; can also be emotionally satisfying; you can solve the problems of others; it can lead to romance and love; there are millions of people that you can work with.

I�ll give some other ideas, later, when I have more time.

Les Douglas 

27 Mar 2020     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I used Dale�s format. I hope you don�t mind, Dale. Here are my 3 pro and con toics, Lynne.

Long Engagement before marriage:
For � 1. You can get to know your future spouses little quirks, 2. You can see if you are compatible, 3. You can plan your wedding and future, 3. You can save money for the future, 4. Your relatives have adequate time to get used to and accept your future spouse.
 Against � 1. You cannot begin your new life together right away but must wait, 2. You lose money because of tax laws favoring married couples over single taxpayers, 3. You may be deported if you are not a legal citizen but if you are married to a citizen you are protected.
 Social Networking:
For � 1. You can stay in touch with long distance family and friends, 2. You can find like-minded people with similar interests and form helpful groups for collaboration, 3. It is a way to get news out quickly especially in a repressive regime that controls the news.
 Against � 1. It can be expensive to obtain and maintain computer and devices and internet connection, 2. You can waste a lot of time on social media leaving less time for studying, 3. The development of real life social skills may be hindered.
Woman picking out her own engagement ring:
For � 1. She is the one who will have to wear it so she should have a say in the choice, 2. It is a major expense so the woman should be involved in the choice, 3. It allows the woman to be proactive and not placed in the role of a voiceless passive recipient.
Against � 1. The man cannot surprise the bride to be with a proposal if the ring has not been purchased ahead of time without the knowledge of the woman, 2. The man cannot control the financing of the ring if he lets the wife pick it out, 3. It is traditional and more romanticfor the man to pick out the ring.

27 Mar 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Love these topics - any more? 
I�m up to slide 14 and risking a walk out. 
Monique, are you against the whole world or just my  powerpoint?  

27 Mar 2020     

karagozian
France

@Lynne. Just your powerpoint.

Tell me when you�re finished because I never check ppts. Maybe I should try to make one or two.  Too old.

I�m a bit worried. In top condition. Hope the entire ESL family is in top condition as well.

Love you all.

Monique

27 Mar 2020     

Aisha77
Spain

TELEWORK
FOR: independence; it�s easy to combine family life with work; for those organized, it�s much easier; flexibility; productivity gains...
AGAINST: feeling of loneliness,  more difficult to organize things with the rest of the team (combine ideas); for those who need a leader, it�s more difficult also...

EUTHANASIA:
FOR: an end for those who have been having long term pains; ... ( I leave it for you...)
AGAINST: for those who believe in God, it�s a sin; .... (again I leave it for you)

27 Mar 2020     

karagozian
France

Carrots ot chocolate.

27 Mar 2020     

yanogator
United States

My ferret is deeply offended by your first one.    :(

Bruce 

27 Mar 2020     

redcamarocruiser
United States