Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Past Continuous or Past Perfect    

Past Continuous or Past Perfect

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Past Continuous or Past Perfect

Dear colleagues,,

Can you explain the difference between these two sentences, please:

When I arrived at the bus stop only one person was waiting for the bus.
When I arrived at the bus stop only one person had been waiting for the bus. 

Thank you in advance. 

30 Mar 2020      

maryse pey�
France

The 1st sentence points out the fact that the person was waiting at the very moment you arrived. You were struck by the fact that there was only one person. The length of the wait does not matter.

WHEREAS

The 2nd sentence points out that your feeling is that the only person waiting had been spending a long time yet since one�s arrival at the bus stop. The length is important in this sentence. You don�t know it but you wouldn�t like to wait for as long.

Native speakers, am I right ? 

30 Mar 2020     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Although I am a native speaker, I don�t feel like there is any difference between the two sentences. However, the second sentence feels like it could have something added like ...but now there are ten.

https://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/pastperfectcontinuous.html offers some example sentences to explain.

30 Mar 2020     

douglas
United States

The second sentence can also mean the person is no longer there. But it is mostly used to emphasize the period of time s/he waited vs the fact they were waiting.

For the second sentence I would be expecting a follow-up sentence saying how long they had waited, the first sentence not so.

Maryse explained it better than me :)

Be safe,
Douglas

31 Mar 2020     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Thank you all. Redcamarocruiser, the link is really useful :)

31 Mar 2020