Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > WOD competition    

WOD competition

karagozian
France

WOD competition

Thank you, Lynne, for choosing my delirium as a definition. I feel honored and accept, being the WOD winner even if the context doesn�t make me that happy! Anyway we have to move on ….. The show must go on…….. Let�s have some fun together now. It was not so much the word that nurtured my imagination, it was really my mood. And I must admit that I still have the BIBBLES.

So, Lynne, it�s not easy to choose a word that nurtures our imagination and remains unknown by the many natives here on the site.

Well, I suggest, triskaidekaphobia

I declare the competition open and will choose a winner in 10 days or so. Have a relatively nice week.

Monique

13 Apr 2020      

redcamarocruiser
United States

Great choice Monique!  It might mean sadness caused by an aversion to Santa�s helpers� hats (Kaiden caps).

13 Apr 2020     

maryse pey�
France

Oh oh !

This is the cry of pain from a trio (tris) of dogs : kai kai kai (3 times by each dog). These dogs know a deep despair about the odd KASTLE in the air (a Spanish one ? No, not at all !) in the region of PHOEBUS� rest cave during the night.

To sumarize it is the mythical story of the trio of dogs barking their famous "KAI KAI KAI" to rise despair while the legendary KASTLE,  spotted near Phoebus� (the Sun himself) rest cave, opens its magical doors to the Night Knight to prevent the raising of the Sun...

13 Apr 2020     

savilla
Australia

Wow; great word.

In the Middle Ages, there was a large cooking pot, known as a "triskaidek", which was often used for brewing tea or making soup.
Triskaidekaphobia is an irrational fear of this type of cooking pot.

If you want to know what it really means, watch episode 4 from Season 5 of Letterkenny  

13 Apr 2020     

spinney
United Kingdom

If I am not mistaken, triskaidekaphobia is not a phobia but is in fact an obsession with hugging cats. Cats, being the solitary creatures that they are, can detect people with this condition and tend to disappear when triskaidekaphobics are around. 

14 Apr 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It is the (irrational) fear of a queue of ten skinny men. 

A triska is a splinter and a slang word for a skinny bloke. deka  = ten

14 Apr 2020     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Members:
triskaidekaphobia
Congratulations to all my excellent colleagues who have submitted such wonderful answers! Marvellous! Terrific! FANTASTIC!
Unfortunately, they are all WRONG!

They have omitted to mention the Great Vowel Shift of Thursday, the 30th of February, 1931.

This was one year after I was born. I remember the day well.
King George the 5th, the grandson of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, was sovereign on the throne.
King George the 5th was also the son of King Edward the 7th. 
It is not generally known that Queen Victoria, despite having 9 children, was a prude regarding �bodily functions�.
She thought that breast-feeding was "Disgusting!" So, she engaged one of her serving-maids to perform this function for her. The girl acted as A Wet Nurse.
Queen Victoria thought that the use of toilets was "Disgusting", also. So, her serving-maid performed these actions for her, too!

It is recorded that their son, Edward, once told his parents, Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, a Knock Knock Joke.
Ed: "Knock Knock".
V&A: "Who�s there?"
Ed: "Dunnup".
V&A: "Dunnup-poo?"
Ed: "Oh! That is DISGUSTING!"

A   V  E  R  Y    L  O  N  G    p  a  u  s  e   -   -   -

V&A: "We are NOT amused!"

But, I digress --- triskaidekaphobia
The British, (particularly the English), are very fond of Rhyming Couplets, and also Alphabet Rhymes.
"A tisket, a tasket, I�ve lost my yellow basket"; "A deck, B deck, C deck, E. This is what my mother taught me". "Phobia, phobium; Podia, podium; This is what comes of life in Cambodium".

Dear Members: You can easily see that triskaidekaphobia is an invented word. It means: "You should visit the beautiful country of Cambodia. If you choose to live with the lovely people of this country, they may be superstitious, or they may not be be superstitious --- just like every other country in the world."

Les Douglas 

15 Apr 2020     

karagozian
France

I officially declare les the magic man or Les the magician as winner of the WOD competition. Thanks to all the participants. I feel we need tho fight to survive. Sunny hugs to all of you. Confinement doesn�t nurture my brain. What about yours Les ?

17 Apr 2020