Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Articles    

Articles

Alyona C.
Ukraine

Articles

Hi, Could you help me, please. Is this sentence correct? Or it should be "the" here? And is word order correct? I have visited a long river Nile. Thanks in advance.

18 Apr 2020      

FrauSue
France

I have visited the river Nile. (= it�s a destination)
I have visited along the river Nile. (= several places on the banks of the Nile)
I have visited the length of the Nile. (= everywhere from North to South) 

18 Apr 2020     

Alyona C.
Ukraine

I need this sentence with the word "long".I can�t skip it. I have visited the long river Nile. Only change a into the?

18 Apr 2020     

maryse pey�
France

I have visited a long river : THE Nile.

18 Apr 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I can see what you need, Alyona, but it is not really what would be said. You could use other adjectives there and it would be ‘the’. I have visited the fertile river Nile. I have visited the wonderful river Nile. I have visited the mystical river Nile. All fine. However, I have visited the long river Nile sounds strange. Maryse’s answer is good. 

19 Apr 2020     

yanogator
United States

Another option is "I have visited the long Nile River".

Bruce 

20 Apr 2020     

Adel A
Egypt

Apart from the grammatical  differences or the lexical explanation you are welcome to visit the river Nile

20 Apr 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you Adel, I would love to come. And will you buy the tea?

22 Apr 2020