Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Images    

Images

savilla
Australia

Images

Hi,

I have found images that are marked as Public Domain in the past, and used them in worksheets, but I am wondering whether or not I�m allowed to use images with some of the other types of licence.

It seems that Wikipedia regards copyrighted images as �fair-use� under certain conditions:

The more common licence types I see on Wikipedia/Wikimedia Commons are Creative Commons. It seems like most of those
permit you to use the image as long as you provide attribution (and a link to the details of the licence type?)

Is anyone else using these licences, or know if we are allowed to use them in worksheets here?

27 Apr 2020      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The area of copyrighted materials is really complex. I think that fair use is also complex... In the past, I used to email artists and jigsaw puzzle companies etc to ask permission to use their images and they always gave it. Now, if it hasn�t got a copyright mark on it, I don�t bother and I use the pictures - they are out there on the net. On here, we are not allowed to use pictures from other ESL sites, but if the pictures are not specifically for ESL learners, I feel OK to use them. In terms of what you upload on here, I would advise you not to use any images with any copyright mark at all, as they will not get past the moderators, fair use or not. 
Lynne  

28 Apr 2020     

savilla
Australia

Thanks Lynne. 
I found this article which seems to indicate that even if a picture doesn�t have a watermark, copyright still applies:

Asking for permission is a good idea, and I�ve done that before with for example with this worksheet
It�s great that the artist gave me permission to use her picture, but nobody asked me if she had..

28 Apr 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi savilla, a complicated matter for sure! I have read lots of links now, but am as confused as ever. To answer your original question: I don�t see why, if we follow the creative commons guidelines, we shouldn�t use such images on here. It should be fine. 

I have had some nice online communications with artists in the past, including one who turned out to live just round the corner from me. It�s only manners and I will stick to my own rules in future!

And that means a deletion CryWink

Lynne 

29 Apr 2020     

savilla
Australia

Ah sorry to hear about the deletion! 

The British Museum has released a lot of their images, under a CC 4.0 licence.

29 Apr 2020     

kohai
Latvia

You can always use images that are labelled for noncommercial reuse with modification.

1 May 2020     

savilla
Australia

Thanks kohai.
I have seen some other blogs that say you should always take the extra step if searching with Google to research the source of the image. And read what the terms are; you may be required to attribute the source.

Here�s Google�s advice about using images that Google search finds: 

3 May 2020