Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > phrasal verbs: stand out vs stick out    

phrasal verbs: stand out vs stick out

Pedro14
Spain

phrasal verbs: stand out vs stick out

Could anyone tell me if there is any nuance between these two phrasal verbs? stand out and stick out. As far as I knew, the latter tends to have a negative connotation while the former tends to have a positive one. For example, "He stuck out as the weak player in the team." vs "Peter really stands out in that team - he�s a lot better than all the others." On the internet, though, after looking up in several online English dictionaries, that connotation is not mention whatsoever. In some of them, both of them are even considered as synonyms. Could you shed light onto this matter? I would appreciate if you could give me some good examples to give my students. Thanks.

2 May 2020      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

You are definitely right. You always stick out like a sore thumb (never stand out like a sore thumb, which I did see on the internet). You stand out as the best. This verb stand is the one used in this idiom, to stand head and shoulders above the othersWe also have the adjective outstanding, which means excellent.  Here is a definition of stand out: 

To stand out is to attract attention, either for the way you look or behave, or because you perform better at something than other people do. (It�s for a positive reason)

To stick something out, btw, means to last the course and that is a positive. He stuck it out,but it was difficult at times. 

2 May 2020     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with Lynne�s excellent answer. I would only add that your example
"He stuck out as the weak player in the team." would not be said. We would say he stood out as the weak(est) player on the team.

vs "Peter really stands out in that team" is correct.  

If you say he stuck out then you should add Lynne�s suggestion,
He stuck out like a sore thumb, as the weakest player on the team.
He stuck out like a sore thumb, being the weakest player on the team.

2 May 2020     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thank you for this to everybody involved. It is always nice to see these little subtleties explained so well. I�m afraid I may have to copy the thread and your explanations for further use at some point. 

3 May 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@ spinney: Stick out, stick in, stick up, stick down, stick around, stick it to �em, stick thin (???) I wish. Anyway, looking forward to the worksheet! 

3 May 2020     

Pedro14
Spain

Thank you all for your prompt and thorough answers. Stay safe!

4 May 2020