Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD for May 24th.    

WOD for May 24th.

spinney
United Kingdom

WOD for May 24th.

Thank you, Savilla for the honour you have bestowed upon me. 
This week�s WOD (perhaps WOW might be more apt in this case) is the word, TAUTOLOGY.
I will announce the winner of first place in the competition next Sunday, at the end of the weekend.  

24 May 2020      

redcamarocruiser
United States

TAUTOLOGY: the study of things stretched or pulled tight

24 May 2020     

Reeka
Hungary

Saying the same thing with another word unnecessarily. Redundancy in speech/writing. E.g. "a common, everyday topic"

24 May 2020     

maryse pey�
France

Afficher l’image source Thoth is an Ancient Egypt god as everyone knows.
And "au logis" in French means "at home" in English.
So "taut" - the Egyptian spelling for Thoth - "au logis" means "being completely obsessed by Thoth and living in a house full of statues, paintings, engravings and so on everywhere, absolutely anywhere in the house."
I swear that is the true meaning ! 

24 May 2020     

savilla
Australia

Well apologies to Maryse as she very nearly got it right but the below is actually the serious legal definition.
I have checked it on the Internet.

Tautology is the field of study of a wrongful act that results in injury to another person, property, reputation, or the like, and for which the injured party is entitled to compensation. 

25 May 2020     

Jayho
Australia

Tautology: the Technique used by employers whereby they microscopically scrutinize the mileage log of the company vehicles used by their staff
T auto log y

25 May 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It�s the philosophy that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. The �taught� is misspelled to prove the point.   It is also known as Oscology, after Oscar Wilde who said on many occasions: Nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. Nobody knows any of this because teachers have conspired to consign the word to oblivion or they would all be out of jobs. 

26 May 2020     

maryse pey�
France

Afficher l’image source Thanks Lynne for your entry ! I love it.

28 May 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you Maryse, I love this man. I went to Pere Lachaise at one point. His tomb was being renovated or something - anyway, you couldn�t kiss it as apparently people did. There was a French TV station there interviewing people about how they felt about Oscar and where they were from etc.. .I remember them asking me how come I spoke such lovely French.....  I will have to try and get it back for my Montpellier trip.  Mind you, people always like to practise their English, thank god. 
Lynne  

28 May 2020     

karagozian
France

I will give you a chance dear Marie Line.

28 May 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

You are a lady, Monique. 

29 May 2020     

1    2    Next >