Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > HOW CAN I ENCOURAGE MY STUDENTS TO SPEAK IN CLASS?    

HOW CAN I ENCOURAGE MY STUDENTS TO SPEAK IN CLASS?

anyteacher
Argentina

HOW CAN I ENCOURAGE MY STUDENTS TO SPEAK IN CLASS?

Hi Teachers!!!
I need your help!!
I �m  in a new secondary school this year and students haven �t developed the ability to speak in class. They are very shy and I need some tips, suggestions or lesson plans to use in class. Thanks in advance and a big hug  from Argentina to all of you .

14 Mar 2009      

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

ANY,
Where on evil have you been? I lost contact, is everything all right with you?

My students keep on asking me about you, but I have no answers.
Tell me something.
BIG HUGS
Olindalima

14 Mar 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

If you type "speaking" or "oral practice" in the "search for posts" box, you will find the information you need because others asked about the same things some time ago ... 

14 Mar 2009     

Sandro2007
Brazil

Hi dear.
I really motivate them in such role plays, and then explaning what the other has said.
It really works..

14 Mar 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Hello!! Smile I think you could try this: give them  2 piles of little cards with words written on them and ask each student (in turns) to take one card from one pile and one card from another and invent as quickly as possible a sentence using these words. Another thing is to play a chain story ( like we did here on the site yesterday Wink). One student begins a story with one sentence or more and other Ss continue. If they are too shy, help them with it and give out cards with words to use in their sentence when making up a story. Have a good day. Big smile

14 Mar 2009     

Patrick
Ireland

I have the same problem............. my wife suggested something she uses in her classes and it turned out to be quite successful. explain to students that you are new in the city and the first 15 minutes of every class is "News Time" where students have to tell you about student life, life in the city, what they did at the weekend, news about their dog, their family, anything at all really................

after the first class students didn �t have a lot to tell me so I asked them to prepare it in advance of the class, it took a bit of time but eventually it got going..........

14 Mar 2009     

simgesimge
Turkey

our ELT Methodolody lecturer at the university suggests that

first have 2 or 3 groups in your class.
they should be far away from each other.
give them a task. (it depends on the activity)
groups should talkt to each other.
and they will have to speak loudly to hear each other �s voices.

this may be solve the problem.

14 Mar 2009     

ironik
Australia

I think maybe they need more time to feel ready to talk. Don �t force them to speak, and don �t abolish the use of native language. But maybe little games and some speaking activities which include speaking not in sentences but in phrases and chunks will be useful.

14 Mar 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Some theory and materials.

14 Mar 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I love this talking game from genki which i have adapted for my use:
Materials:
Building blocks
conversation topics
shy kids in groups of 3 - 4
Timer

Rules
to win you need the tallest tower when the bell goes.
10 seconds talking = 1 second building (adapt this to your students)
When I say stop all hands must come off the blocks immediately.
Stop the talking timer when the students: stop talking for 2 seconds - make three thinking sounds - repeat themselves - use a language other than English.

Instructions:
1) give each group a pile of blocks and a conversation topic
2) Start with one group - get them to talk on the topic while you time them (they can help each other out by cutting in on each other.
3) call out stop when they are out - and give them their talking and building time.
4) children line up around their table and you say on your marks get set GO!  Then start the timer and yell STOP when they are finished their time (first round they will probably only get one or 2 seconds and that is ok to!)

The best thing about this game is that the kids that are great talkers end up building a tower so talli t falls over just before the bell goes - all the other kids laugh their heads off and usually it is the thinking team that have good design that win.

14 Mar 2009     

carinaluc
Argentina

Dear friend,
I think aftab57 �s suggestion concerning timesavers speaking activities is great.  Last year I had a problem with my FCE students because they were too shy to speak (can you imagine sitting for the oral part of the exam without saying a word???).  I came across this wonderful resource and it did wonders with their speaking abilities!!  I �m glad to say they passed the exam with flying colours and I started using the Timesavers collection in all my classes. 
Hope it helps
All the best
Carina 

14 Mar 2009