Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Love marriage and grammar    

Love marriage and grammar

Garibaldina
Argentina

Love marriage and grammar

Hi! Does anyone remember this text or where it comes from? "Young lovers are fond of using the subjunctive. This is because they are frequently separated. The most typical postcard from one to the other carries the traditional message �Having a lovely time. Wish you were here.� probably, the one who writes it is on holiday with his or her parents. When they say goodnight to each other at he bus stop or the girl�s front door, it is quite natural for them to say:� I wish you didn�t go home so soon. I wish we could always be together.�

18 Jun 2020      

redcamarocruiser
United States

I googled it and 

ЭТО ИНТЕРЕСНО | platonovka - Wix.com was the result. I did not click on the link because I did not recognize the site. Before clicking on unfamiliar links it is a good idea to check them at https://zulu.zscaler.com/ or https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/url

for malware. 

Edit: Oh, Jannabanana,

It is lovely! Thank you for sharing it here.

18 Jun 2020     

jannabanna
France

Do you have the full text? I found it here (number 3) : https://englishteachervrn.wixsite.com/platonovka/program

Love, Marriage and Grammar

Young lovers are fond of using the subjunctive. This is because they are frequently separated. The most typical postcard from one to the other carries the traditional message ‘Having a lovely time. Wish you were here.’ probably, the one who writes it is on holiday with his or her parents. When they say goodnight to each other at he bus stop or the girl’s front door, it is quite natural for them to say:’ I wish you didn’t go home so soon. I wish we could always be together.’

Even unsuccessful lovers can express themselves better in the subjunctive. ‘I wish I were more attractive’, ‘I wish I knew her address, ‘I wish she’d take some notice of me’, ‘If only he’d ring’.

And when they are dreaming about their future, the Subjunctive is the perfect grammatical form for imagining their happiness. There used to be a well-known song that began: “If you were the only girl in the world, And I were the only boy in the world, Nothing else would matter in the world…”

We suppose that, like Adam or Eve, they would live in a garden full of fruit trees. Otherwise, they would be too busy to enjoy their dreams very much!

Once the couples get married, however, the Subjunctive is not a very satisfactory area. To begin with, there are everyday complaints: “I wish you would listen when I’m talking to you”. “I wish you wouldn’t drop your cigarette ash on the carpet”.

When the couple start using the third person and “you” becomes “he” or “she”, this gets worse. By now, they are complaining to their friends: “If only she she’d learn to cook”, “If only he wouldn’t snore! I cannot get to sleep at night”

The Present Subjunctive is bad enough for married couples but the Past is fatal. When two people get used to speaking to each other in the Past Subjunctive, there’s not much hope left for the marriage. “I wish I’d never met you” and “If only I’d listened to my mother” are almost certain to provoke answers like ‘Yes, I wish you’d listen to her too! » and there’s a short step to the divorce court.

The reason for all this is that the Subjunctive is all about what we haven’t got, we never had or we’ll probably never get. And most marriages survive better if the couple think about what they have got now – each other – and make the best of it in the Present Indicative: “I’m so happy with you”, “You look lovely in that dress”, “I don’t care if you don’t earn much money. I love you, anyway”.

19 Jun 2020     

Garibaldina
Argentina

Thank you very much!

22 Jun 2020