Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD    

WOD

cunliffe
United Kingdom

WOD

Hello dears. No, I haven�t won the WOD, I was fourth runner-up or something, but anyway, here is your new WOD. I think this WOD competition is a bit of fun, but also very educational as we all learn a new word! Please remember, we don�t want the true definition, we want your daffynition and it can be silly, funny, serious, or plain nonsense! And your word is:

WARDREADLE

23 Jun 2020      

spinney
United Kingdom

Right then, this is a very common word, or was when I was a young schoolboy at the posh boarding school I went to. 
This is the practice of staying up at night and hiding in the wardrobe and reading a book by torch because the lights were turned out at 10 pm.  

23 Jun 2020     

FrauSue
France

It�s pronounced "wor - dreddle" to rhyme with "pedal." 

It�s a word from the 1920s. Conscientious objectors (people who refused to fight in the 1st World War) were often called cowards, or �wardreadles� - people who dread war. This pejorative term has thankfully dropped out of use.

23 Jun 2020     

maryse pey�
France

Actually it is a mispelling of a non-speaking English.

It means : the riddle of the yard (in homage to Mother Goose). 

23 Jun 2020     

Aisha77
Spain

It�s the dread a King�s ward has to read riddles in front of people... :/

23 Jun 2020     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Foster parents take care of wards.  Wardreadle is the term for wards who are especially difficult to place in foster homes, for like treaclewort, they are wild.

23 Jun 2020     

douglas
United States

We all know that a dreidel is a "little top that spins" (many learned the song as young children).

There is a game known as "Battling Tops" where two tops are shot into a small "arena" where they battle to see which  falls over first.

So the obvious conclusion is that a War Dreadle is a special "elite" top designed to battle in the arena--a spinning gladiator if you would.

Note: I got this picture from the internet and have no idea what the symbols on the dreidel below are--if they are something offensive please let me know so I can remove it.  Thx

What Is A Dreidel? | My Jewish Learning

25 Jun 2020     

Jayho
Australia

Guys, guys, you obviously don�t have dreadlocks. 

Dreadle is a well known German company that makes the finest tools to crochet dreadlocks - TRUE! You can read about Dreadle  here

So, wardreadle is your own wardrobe of dreadles -  single, double and triple crochet hooks - in a fine array of beautifully natural and environmentally friendly handcrafted handles. And even dreadle jewellery for your dreads. Create your own wardreadle today!

26 Jun 2020     

Gurnoor
Switzerland

It is yet another contribution from the rich French language which the innovative English  combined with current and widely understood English words to coin a word that simply means, the riddles of war, i.e. those elements of war that can not be explained. There have been many a wardreadle meetings behind closed doors that never come to public light. There, now you know! :) 

27 Jun 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, well, well, I am having trouble deciding on a winner! All these definitions were brilliant  - and some were very plausible - especially considering that WARDREADLE  is a made-up word.  While searching for a new WOD, I googled EDWARD LEAR, that great purveyor of nonsense to get a good word. And, well, you can see what I did there! It is an anagram of his name. And so I am going for the philosophical daffynition - GURNOOR is the WINNER! 
Thank you for your daffynitions and where is LES???
Lynne x 

30 Jun 2020