Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What is Uncle Grundy?    

What is Uncle Grundy?

pipetochka
Belarus

What is Uncle Grundy?

Hello everybody!!! i am confused with translation of "Uncle Grundy" and defining it at all/ I study the topic "Our world" with my children (3 rd class) ana this world is in the topic vocabulary... I don �t know what is it/// please help me!!!!!!!

14 Mar 2009      

Vickiii
New Zealand

I have never heard this term "uncle Grundy" before - I think it might be North American based on the google hits.

We do use the word Grundy in New Zealand though:

Grundy Undies = not very nice underwear.
Grundies = not very nice underwear. 
Thats grundy = it is a bit crap or rubbish.

hope this helps.
Vicki

14 Mar 2009     

spring
Turkey

I have found this from Wikipedia.
"Mrs Grundy:Mrs Grundy, a character from Thomas Morton �s play Speed the Plough (1798), was considered by English-language authors to be the personification of the tyranny of conventional propriety."

Maybe the word "uncle grundy" is used as a simile to describe an extremely conventional or priggish person with attribution to Mrs grundy.

14 Mar 2009     

pipetochka
Belarus

thank you very much!!!

14 Mar 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Vickiii - in Aus we use �grungy � (which predates the �grunge � scene) rather than �grundy �. Grundy is (I think it �s still around) a television production company that made many popular soap operas & mini series over here/there.

Welcome back!

As far as �Uncle Grundy � goes, I �ve got no idea. It sounds like regional slang of some sort. With regard to the story... it could be that the simplest reason is the answer.

are you ready...

Is it the character �s name? He could be �Mr Grundy � in formal situations & �Uncle Grundy � to those that are near & dear to him!

Just a thought.

15 Mar 2009     

pipetochka
Belarus

Oh!!! who made this book?!!! this word is placed in the list of words to the topic "A world around us" where children learn about deserts, grasslands, weather, etc...

15 Mar 2009