Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the day    

Word of the day

Jayho
Australia

Word of the day

Hi everyone

Thank you Maryse for choosing my definition of that amazing word.

The new word is: slubberdegullion

We await your zany and entertaining definitions of this archaic 17th century word.

Cheers

Jayho

19 Jul 2020      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I beg to differ! This word is still very much in use. I knew many slubberdegullions when I went on my cruise.  Slubber means to perform a task quickly and carelessly. Gulleon - I have to grant you Jayho, yes, this is an old-fashioned slang word for galleon aka ship. Cleaners of ships are notoriously slap-dash. There we are:  a slubberdegulleon is a cleaner on a ship. 

19 Jul 2020     

spinney
United Kingdom

Actually, I hate to split hairs but you are both wrong. It is not a 17th century archaic word but it comes from the 11th century and was a Norman word. "Slubber" is where we get the word "slobber" (dripping saliva) and was from Norman French. "De Gulliions" refers to the now extinct breed known as "Gullion" which was an old Viking breed of dog, similar to the St Bernard. "Slubberdegullion" refers to something unidentified but slimy and was often blamed on the Norman hunting dog that was popular in the 11th century. 

20 Jul 2020     

maryse pey�
France

Oh oh ! I must confess I had forgotten this onomatopeia.

It was usual at the epoch of the pirats and when a gallion was sinking the sailors could hear "slub slub slub" under it.

That is to say "slub slub under the gallion".

Simple no ? 

21 Jul 2020     

Gurnoor
Switzerland

well Jayho, I really needed to think deep and hard about whether or not to share this information with you all. Clearly, the magic word has found its way into the light. It is no more hidden. But it is a powerful word and must be used correctly! Not that the wrong door opens and we find ourselves in dire straits with malicious mean energies attacking us and ours. So here goes,
This word was created from ancient Sanskrit to override the command of "OPEN SEASME!" so that no evil genie would be able to enter the cave of everlasting riches and drink from the fountain of youth and eternal good health. But it has to be said right for it to work. 
This is what one must do. 
Take a deep breath and say SLUBBERDEGULLION like a toad would. Yes, one has to croak!
Then utter it like a duck would, Yes, you must quack!
Finally, flap your arms like a crow in distress and hop around a sleeping dog without waking it up!

If you, for example, do it right, the cave will summon you, reveal itself to you, and surrender its everlasting riches to you.  
Good luck to all of you that decide to croak, quack and flutter!
May the odds be forever in your favor. 

PS- I DO APOLOGIZE, if this is beyond stupid. 

21 Jul 2020     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

OMG Gurnoor, it worked! I flapped, hopped, croaked and quacked the magic word slubberdegullion and the cave opened up and revealed its everlasting riches to me. It was miraculous beyond compare; the most wonderful sight imaginable: it was full of cats of all sizes, breed and hue. I collapsed with joy and have only just come round. 

24 Jul 2020     

Gurnoor
Switzerland

Ah Lynn!

Maybe you shall now become the next Cat woman!  
We have to thank Jayho for putting the word forth. I simply acted as the powers that be, led me to!
At your service, always,

Gurnorry Rotter! 

24 Jul 2020     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with slubber being a regional variation of slobber. Slubberdegullion is the slobber that escapes when a ghoul yawns.

24 Jul 2020     

Jayho
Australia

Oh my goodness, I posted this a week ago and it�s still in the top half of the home page.  Has the European summer holiday, by any chance, started? (Down here, at the bottom of the world, we are in the midst of winter, and the middle of our school year).

25 Jul 2020     

FrauSue
France

Slubberdegullions are sandals in the form of a fish. Just slip them on and waddle away.

26 Jul 2020     

Jayho
Australia

Hi everyone

Great entries - I loved them all!

Frausue, with her sensational slippery slimy scaly slippers, wins the prize!

The real meaning is: "A filthy, slobbering person; a sloven, a villain, a fiend, a louse".

Over to you, Sue.

Cheers

Jayho

Edit: I got past the block - I managed to copy and paste the definition here. 

9 Aug 2020