Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Adverbial Phrases of reference or introduction?     

Adverbial Phrases of reference or introduction?

spinney
United Kingdom

Adverbial Phrases of reference or introduction?

Hi there!
As I seem to have a lot of time on my hands at the moment (my holiday to the UK cancelled), I have been preparing some work for next term. I have been looking at phrases such as, "regarding ..., with regard to ... as regards ..., as far as ... is concerned, on the subject of ..." etc. and I�m having the Dickens of a time trying to categorise what they are. I thought that perhaps they could be called "adverbial phrases of reference" or even "adverbial phrases of introduction" and, after spending nearly an hour clicking on various links and looking at different sites, I am more or less stymied by the lack of information on this. They can also be used as conjunctions, depending on how the sentence is structured.  Any ideas, people? I really need a new pairs of eyes and a fresh brain on this.  

30 Jul 2020      

aftab57
United Kingdom

Checking a few of them quickly, they seem to be classifies as Prepositions.

30 Jul 2020     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Spinney

A new pair of eyes and fresh brain is here to help :) 

These two links refer to them as discourse markers.

You can rest easy now.

Cheers

Jayho

30 Jul 2020     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thank you people! You have been very helpful. :-)
As it goes, I got the worksheet done.  

30 Jul 2020