Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Opposite vs. across from    

Opposite vs. across from

mjmo67
Iran

Opposite vs. across from

Hi dear colleagues

Hope everybody�s doing GREAT. You know I�d like to know the specific difference between the prepositions "opposite" and "across from". I mean can they be used interchangeably or in some contexts there would be a difference in meaning. I was also wondering to know if we could use across from when two people are sitting or standing opposite each other.

Thanks a lot in advance!

23 Oct 2020      

spinney
United Kingdom

Hi!
I am pretty confident somebody will disagree with me, but from what I can gather, "opposite" is mostly used by British English speakers, and "across from" is more frequently used by American English speakers. For Irish, Canadian, Indian, Australian or other native English speakers, I really would not like to hazard a guess. Irvine Welsh, the renowned Scottish writer, often uses "across from," and I know Americans that use opposite so, this would be quite a generalisation. 
For people standing in front of each other, if they are separated by something (a road, a table, etc.) I would have thought the same usage would apply. 

23 Oct 2020     

Jayho
Australia

They are basically the same. I use both forms.

There is a good explanation here between British and American English:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv222.shtml

24 Oct 2020     

mjmo67
Iran

Thank you so MUCH dear colleagues! I really appreciate you taking the time to give such a thorough and detailed answer!

24 Oct 2020