Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need help about pronunciation     

Need help about pronunciation

elt_yasmin
Turkey

Need help about pronunciation

Hello everyone I need especially native speakers� comments about a pronunciation problem.
I know assiimilation rule about d and y sounds as below;

when one word ends in a /d/ sound and the next word begins in a /j/ sound, the two sounds come together and change to a /ʤ/ sound. You also might have noticed that the /uː/ in �you� can change to schwa. So �would you� becomes �woul/ʤ/ou�, or even �woul/ʤə/� This is an example of assimilation. 

However I hear some teachers here use the same rule for t and y sounds, also
For example : I want you to... or  What about you? They pronounce want and about with  ʤ

I am in a committee to check pronunciations of these teachers so I don�t want to give false feedback. So, is it possible to generate this rule to t and y sounds or do native speaker use this in everyday language?  

All your comments are very valuable for me. I really wonder about this and would be really happy to read your comments.
Thank you in advance.

28 Oct 2020      

lillianschild
Argentina

Hello, Yasmin!

The kind of assimilation that occurs when t and d are followed by /j/ is called YOD COALESCENCE. /d/ + /j/ becomes /dʒ/ while  /t/ + /j/ become /tʃ/. If the teachers you�re supervising produce /dʒ/ instead of /tʃ/ when /t/ is followed by /j/, then they�re doing it wrongly; " let you out", for instance, must be /ˌle u ˌaʊt/.

YOD COALESCENCE also occurs in British English within a word, though not in careful RP.  Example: tune /tju:n/ can become /tʃu:n/. Meanwhile, when the j sound is in an unstressed syllable, this coalescence is often variable in British English but obligatory in American English. Example; factual /ˈf�ktjʊəl/ˈf�ktʃʊəl/.

Assimilation is very common in everyday speech. It usually happens at word boundaries, but it can also occur at the end of a syllable depending on the sound that follows.

1.  Alveolar consonants t ,d, n, when they occur at the end of a word or syllable, can optionally assimilate to the place of articulation of the next syllable (�regressive� assimilation).
            Thus /n/ can become /m/ before p, b & m. Examples: ten men > /ˌtem ˈmen/; downbeat> /  daʊmˈbiːt/

2 /n/ can become /ŋ/ before k & g. Examples: fine grade > /ˌfaɪŋ ˈgreɪd/
            /d/ can change to b before a bilabial and g before a velar. Examples: red paint /ˌreb ˈpeiɪnt/, bad guys /ˌb�g ˈgaɪz/

3 /t/ can change to /p/ and /k/, but a change to /t/ is more frequent, when followed by another consonant- though a  glottal  stop is even more common.  eight boys /ˌeɪp ˈbɔɪz/, /ˌeɪʔ ˈbɔɪz/

4 /s/ and /z/ can change to ʃ and ʒ respectively, but only before / ʃ/ and /j/. Example: this shape /ˌ�ɪʃ ˈʃeɪp/

Sometimes a consonant can assimilate  to the place of articulation of the preceding consonant (�progressive� assimilation).. In English, this applies only to Syllable n, changing it to syllabic m or ŋ as appropriate, provided there�s not a vowel after the nasal sound: Examples /ˈrɪbən/ becomes /ˈrɪbm/ & bacon /ˈbeɪkən/ becomes /ˈbeɪkŋ/

Some British English Speakers assimilate s to ʃ before and tr. Example; strong /ʃtrong/ instead of /strong/

28 Oct 2020