Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > reflexive    

reflexive

henry2001
Indonesia

reflexive

please help me what is correct He thinks I will do that work ��� a.myself b.itself c.a and b are correct d. a and b aren�t correct thanks

28 Oct 2020      

lillianschild
Argentina

A is the correct answer.

To be precise, the pronoun here is emphatic and, therefore, optional- unless you want to make it clear that you will do the work without help. In other words:  "He thinks I�ll do that work." is grammatically correct too. However, it doesn�t imply that you�ll do the work on your own.

Reflexive pronouns, on the other hand, aren�t optional and don�t mean "without help". Examples:" I cut myself".  "She hurt herself". The damage could have been the result of an accident they�re not responsible for.

Remember that reflexive and emphatic pronouns have to concide with the performer of the action the pronoun is referring back to.

Examples:

The dog dug the hole itself. (Emphatic. I can also say "The dog dug the hole".) > Itself refers to the dog not the      hole.

We finished the project ourselves. (Emphatic- I can also say "We finished the project.") > ourselves refers to "We".

Susan killed herself. ( Reflexive, not optional. She didn�t kill others but her own person.)

Peter saw her look at herself in the mirror.  ( Reflexive, not optional. Herself refers to the woman who saw her reflection in the mirror not to Peter.)

You may find the following useful:

28 Oct 2020     

vasu12
India

HI Henry The answer for this question will be "Myself". "Myself, himself, herself, etc...... they are all reflexive pronouns. They are used when the the person who is performing the action is also the receiver of the action because there is no object for transitive verb . For example I enjoyed the movie In this sentence the verb "Enjoyed" has an object " the movie" but if I write the sentence as mentioned below I enjoyed this sentence is incomplete because the verb "Enjoyed" needs an object, That object will be used as per the Person (Subject) in the sentence. First Person (singular)- I Reflexive - myself First Person (Plural)- We Reflexive - ourselves Second Person (singular)- you Reflexive - yourself Second Person (Plural)- you Reflexive - yourselves Third Person (singular) Male- he Reflexive - himself Third Person (singular) Female- she Reflexive - herself Third Person (singular) Neuter- it Reflexive - itself Third Person (Plural) ------ They Reflexive - themselves

29 Oct 2020     

UniversityResult
India

Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You�re doing a great job Man,Keep it up. check my blogs. http://universityresult.in/

30 Oct 2020     

THEGEEKLANE
India

Thanks for the sharing information with us. Check my link. https://thegeeklane.com/

30 Oct 2020     

ShayariGuide
India

Great Job here on your blog. I read a lot of blog posts and i never heard of a topic like this. I love this topic you made. you can also enjoy my blog shayariguide - check links http://shayariguide.in/

30 Oct 2020