Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help plz!    

Help plz!

caren_630
Egypt

Help plz!

Dear Colleagues,

Would someone please help me with the meaning of the following sentence?!! It is a sentence from H G Wells The War of the World.
 ... as I emerged from the top of Backer Street, I saw far away over the trees in the clearness of the sunset the hood of the Martian giant from which this howling proceeded.
What does "hood" and "giant" mean in this sentence? Does "hood" means a part that cover or shelter an equipment??
Is the word "giant" a verb in this context??  

"All about me the Red Weed clambered among the ruins, writhing to get above me in the dim." 
 In the previous context, dim is a noun. What does it mean? According to oxford and Longman dictionary dim is a verb or an adjective but not a noun.

"...; by virtue of it London had still seemed alive, and the sense of life about me had upheld me"
"London about me gazed at me spectrally." 
Does about mean surrounding? 

Thanks a lot ,

30 Oct 2020      

lillianschild
Argentina

Giant is a noun;. never a verb. It refers to one of the huge spaceships that  landed on Earth during the alien invasion. Meanwhile, the hood is the top of the ship, described as such because of its rounded  shape. See a picture here:

As regards "dim", it�s usually used as an adjective. However, all attributive adjectives can be nominalised- i.e. given a noun status- by using an article before them. Thus, you refer to everything or everyone that has a certain characteristic. For example: the beautiful (everyone that is beautiful), the rich (everyone that is wealthy), the old (everyone/everything that is old), etc. Of course, you can also use the noun proper, dimness.

"About" is a synonym of "around" here. It means everything that surrounds you. In many cases, these prepositions/adverbs are interchangeable.

30 Oct 2020     

caren_630
Egypt

Thanks a  lot  lillianschild

But what does giant mean in the previous context?

Thanks a lot 

30 Oct 2020     

yanogator
United States

A giant is an unusually large person, so it can also mean anything that is very large. The Martian giant is the very large spaceship from Mars.

Bruce 

30 Oct 2020     

caren_630
Egypt

Thx Bruce and Lillianschild

30 Oct 2020