Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need help    

Need help

class centre
Belarus

Need help

A pastor or pastor of the harmony church? And why? Please, give me a hand...

19 Nov 2020      

douglas
United States

Generally, using "a" makes him one of a group... and leaving out the "a" opens it more to him possibly being the only pastor--it is a gray area either way

19 Nov 2020     

class centre
Belarus

Thank you, douglas. This is what i also thought about. But my sts know that one of a kind needs a the article. How can i explain that grey area?

19 Nov 2020     

class centre
Belarus

Thanks a lot. But what about "He was elected president."? No article is possible here. That�s why it�s a difficult point.

19 Nov 2020     

yanogator
United States

And that is exactly why "He is pastor of that church" is possible and correct.

Bruce 

19 Nov 2020     

douglas
United States

Exactly Bruce!

..and sorry Tomsmom, but I totally disagree with this statement:  "Grammar is like maths: grey areas do not exist (exceptions do, but that is a different kettle of fish)."

Language is an ever-changing and developing entity that cannot be fully leashed-- we don�t speak like Shakespeare, but do still use Euclidean geometry..

my two cents,
Douglas

20 Nov 2020     

class centre
Belarus

thanks a lot dear teachers ! You�ve made my day! your help can�t be overestimated to me

20 Nov 2020     

FrauSue
France

I agree with the explanations above.
He is now a pastor of the Harmony Church, (= one of several pastors) 
He is now pastor of the Harmony Church. (= the only pastor) - you could also say "the pastor of the Harmony Church" to convey the same meaning.

And in fact, this works with �general� jobs such as teacher or doctor as well, depending on the context.
She is a doctor. (= one of numerous doctors currently working today)
She is doctor to the Irish rowing team. (= the team only has one doctor)

20 Nov 2020