Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Much or A lot of?    

Much or A lot of?

customer
Italy

Much or A lot of?

Dear colleagues,

I was wondering...
I never eat MUCH meat
or
I never eat A LOT OF meat? 
Do I consider the semtence affirmative or negative?

Thanks for your help! 

14 Dec 2020      

lillianschild
Argentina

NEVER is a non-assertive form, so the fact that the verb is affirmative doesn�t matter. In other words, the meaning of the statement is negative.

Both "much" and "a lot of" are possible; the latter being more informal.

14 Dec 2020     

customer
Italy

Thanks for your help!

14 Dec 2020     

colbertine
France

Here is the REAL RULE, according to the textbooks from various British editors and the one I have learnt in England and I teach my students:
positive sentence: A LOT
negative and question with an UNCOUNTABLE word: much
negative and question with a COUNTABLE word: many

Nevertheless, it is common to find " a lot" in a negative sentence  and many/much in a positive sentence, but this is only everyday colloquial English. The real rule is as I mentioned above.
And obviously you will find this more colloquial and accepted form very often but this doesn�t mean it is correct. 

15 Dec 2020     

lillianschild
Argentina

Here�s a clarification. As I mentioned in my previous post, both MUCH and MANY can be used in affirmative sentences but only in formal style- LOTS OF and A LOT are used in informal everyday speech.

I agree with colbertine that most textbooks recommend the use of "lots of/a lot of" for the AFFIRMATIVE. Still, the use of "A LOT OF/LOTS OF" in negative statements isn�t grammatically incorrect. Here�s an authoritative source: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/es/gramatica/gramatica-britanica/much-many-a-lot-of-lots-of-quantifiers

Scroll down to the "A lot of, lots of with a noun" section  to find the corroboration of what I said in my previous post and repeated here.

16 Dec 2020