Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Client x Customer    

Client x Customer

danibauer
Brazil

Client x Customer

Good morning, dear colleagues!!!

I �d like to know the difference between the words client and customer. One of my business students used the word �client� during a meeting, but he was corrected by his boss, that said: "They aren �t our client, they �re our customer." I�ve tried to find the answer on the internet, but it�s very vague�

Thanks in advance!!! Have a great Sunday!

XO, Daniela

15 Mar 2009      

Greek Professor
Greece

Hello danibauer,

I hope this is useful...

1.  somebody using professional service: a person or organization taking advice from a lawyer, accountant, or other professional person 

2.  customer: a person or organization to whom goods or services are provided and sold

3.  user of social service agency: somebody who uses the services of a social services agency 

4.  person or entity helped by another: a person or entity dependent on the protection or patronage of another person or entity
the former Soviet Union and its clients in the Middle East

Encarta � World English Dictionary � & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

15 Mar 2009     

danibauer
Brazil

Thank you, Greek Professor, for your prompt reply!

15 Mar 2009     

_babz
Canada

hi there

both are synonyms, but this is what I found:

a customer: a person who purchases goods or services from another; buyer; patron.

a client: a person or group that uses the professional advice or services of a lawyer, accountant, advertising agency, architect, etc. OR a person who is receiving the benefits, services, etc., of a social welfare agency, a government bureau, etc.

I underlined the key words , so there is a slight difference.,

hope that helps! :)

15 Mar 2009     

danibauer
Brazil

Thanks, tbabalis!!! It really helped me!

15 Mar 2009     

tensilestrain
Singapore

Thanks, danibaue,r for raising the question.

Thanks, tbabalis, for answering.

I �ve learnt something new.

15 Mar 2009     

Ayaniw
Algeria

Hi!
a customer = a person or an organization that buys something from a shop / store or business
: one of the shop�s best / biggest customers.

a client = a person who uses the services or advice of a professional person or organization:a lawyer with many famous clients.

15 Mar 2009     

danibauer
Brazil

Thanks, Ayzman!

I �ve got great explanations from all of you!

Cheers,

Daniela

15 Mar 2009