Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please help me with this    

Please help me with this

le ngoc qui
Vietnam

Please help me with this

Dear colleagues, Please help me with this. Which is the correct sentence? These new proposals would allow more people to buy their own homes. A. More people are allowed by these new proposals to buy their own homes. B. According to these new proposals, more people can buy their new homes. C. Allowed by these new proposals, more people can buy their own homes. D. To be allowed to buy their own homes, more people expect new proposals. Is B the correct answer? Is C grammatically correct but the verb �allowed � is unacceptable in this case? Thank you in advance. Qui

8 Apr 2021      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It is A. I would not choose B, because according to is not the right way to put it. It sounds as if you are interpreting the rules. and the original sentence is clear. And it includes new, which is not in the original sentence. It may be that these people are already living in their homes, maybe renting and are now allowed to buy them, so they are not new homes. 

8 Apr 2021     

le ngoc qui
Vietnam

Thank you so much for your willingness to help me all the time. But I wonder that in the original sentence �would � is used and �would� indicates a possibility while in sentence A �are� is used, which means 100% sure. Qui

8 Apr 2021     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Ah, right, good point, but I took that would as a conditional - the new proposals have not yet been made, but when they are, they will allow people to buy their homes. I think that is the right interpretation. 

8 Apr 2021     

le ngoc qui
Vietnam

Thank you so much, dear colleague. Whenever I have any question, I look forward to your help. Qui

8 Apr 2021     

FrauSue
France

Is this an SAT-style question?
A is technically correct, but uses an unnecessary passive, which is often a big no-no in those kinds of tests. B would be a more concise and elegant way of expressing the idea (assuming that "new homes" is a typo for "own homes"). I do agree with Lynne, however, in that "Thanks to" would make more sense than "According to." 

8 Apr 2021     

yanogator
United States

I agree with all of the above. A, although it uses an unnecessary passive, is the best answer. I was immediately bothered by "new" in B.

Bruce 

8 Apr 2021     

le ngoc qui
Vietnam

It is in a practice test for the GCES in Viet Nam. Thank all of you so much. Qui

9 Apr 2021