Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How to say years    

How to say years

Istruka
Portugal

How to say years

Hi everyone!

I have a question: since last year we have started to say 2020 like twenty-twenty , but since when can we read years like that? Can we only do that from 2020? Because 1918 is said nineteen-eighteen...

18 Apr 2021      

yanogator
United States

I don�t quite understand what your question is. We generally read the first two digits as a 2-digit number (such as 19 or 20), then the remaining two digits as a two-digit number, unless it begins with 0, in which case we read that as "Oh", then the final digit.
Here are some examples:
1900   nineteen hundred
1901   nineteen oh one
1909   nineteen oh nine
1910   nineteen ten
1919   nineteen nineteen
1920   nineteen twenty  
1985   nineteen eighty five
2000   two thousand
2001   two thousand and one, or twenty oh one
2009   two thousand and nine, or twenty oh nine
2010   twenty ten (but two thousand and ten is fairly common, too)
2020   twenty twenty
2021   twenty twenty one

If that doesn�t answer your question, please try asking it in a slightly different way.

Bruce 

18 Apr 2021     

Jayho
Australia

It�s an interesting question. Since 2000, there have been two camps in how to pronounce the year but since 2020 it�s just one camp. The global population has agreed that twenty whatever is much easier to say than two thousand and whatever. Besides, twenty whatever is a natural progression from nineteen whatever.

There is an interesting article here about it: https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2020/01/09/snapp-shots-at-last-can-we-pronounce-this-centurys-years-right/

Cheers

Jayho

19 Apr 2021     

yanogator
United States

Thanks to Jayho�s answer, I finally understand the question.

Up through 2009, I said two-thousand whatever, but in 2010, I started saying twenty ten, twenty eleven, etc. 

I think it was partly influenced by the book and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which has always been said two thousand one, or two thousand and one.

Bruce 

20 Apr 2021