Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help plz!    

Help plz!

caren_630
Egypt

Help plz!

Dear colleagues,
I am in desperate need for help to answer the following question. It is a reading text about garbage crisis. 

We have to face the inevitable question posed by Ed Repa, manager of the solid waste disposal program at the National Solid Waste Management Association: "How do we throw something away when there is noaway?" 

Why is the phrase �away� written between inverted commas?

Thanks a lot in advance, 

17 May 2021      

Aisha77
Spain

Hi:
I had to search through the web to know more about the context, and I came to one conclusion:
"away" in this context means that there is not an outside world where we can throw our garbage to, everything stays on our Planet Earth, so it�s not that simple as our waste won�t disappear. We all live in the same place where day after day the rubbish is accumulating in many places around the planet and it�s getting a truly terrible issue...

I hope this answer can help you...
Aisha ;) 

17 May 2021     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Good explanation by Aisha. The inverted commas are because the �away� is a quote from the initial statement. Furthermore, it is not the word we usually use for the the rest of the world. 

18 May 2021     

caren_630
Egypt

Thx a lot cunliffe and Aisha.

18 May 2021