Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help plz!    

Help plz!

caren_630
Egypt

Help plz!

Dear colleagues,
would someone please help me with the meaning of the following extract. It is an extract from Treasure Island.

"   Long John Silver, our ship�s cook - Barbecue as the men called him carried his crutch  by a lanyard round his neck, to have both hands as free as possible. It was something to see him wedged the foot of his crutch against a bulkhead, and, propped against it, yielding to every movement of the ship, get on with his cooking Iike someone safe ashore. Still more strange was it to see him in the heaviest, of weather, cross the deck. He had a line or two rigged up to help him across the widest space and he would hand himself from one place to another as quickly as another man could walk."

I cannot get what is meant by "He had a line or two rigged up ... could walk"? 
Thanks a lot in advance!
Have a nice day! 

26 Sep 2021      

FrauSue
France

In my opinion, "a line" here refers to a rope. Long John silver only had one leg, so he fixed ("rigged up") some ropes at wide parts of the deck so that he could pull himself along ("hand himself"). He could move around the ship just as quickly as another man walking.

26 Sep 2021     

savilla
Australia

I agree with Frau Sue.
"Line is the general term for rope that is on a boat and there can be several different named lines because they perform different functions." Source 
The type of line Long John Silver was using is also called a safety line and if someone has to be on deck in a storm, it�s a very good idea to have a safety line to hang on to!

Another ship term is bulkhead. It is a partition or wall between compartments. So, Long John Silver was wedging his crutch against a wall; a strong/stable part of the ship.

28 Sep 2021