Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Where to begin...    

Where to begin...

guatemama07
Guatemala

Where to begin...

Hello everyone, I am from the United States, but I live in Guatemala with my family. I am a teacher by profession, and I teach social studies for a state virtual high school program by working remotely. I am going to be spending some time here in Guatemala volunteering to teach English to students of high school age in a nearby community. These are students without much in the way of economic resources, many of whom are sponsored to attend school by benefactors outside of Guatemala. I am a veteran teacher, but I am new to ESL. I want to give my students the best experience possible. Right now, I will see them once a week. We start next week! I plan to begin with a diagnostic test to see where their skill levels are. I would very much welcome any advice. Thanks! Wendy

13 Jan 2022      

jannabanna
France

Hi Wendy,

I wish I could answer in one sentence but it would be impossible. At least it looks like they will be (or should be) around the same level.  That�s always a godsend when teaching languages to groups. 

There are some assessment tests on this site, but you�ll also find plenty of internet.  Depending on their level you could follow up with something to "break the ice" / form the group, even if they know each other, it�s all good fun.

Here are two of my favourites:

1.  First of all ask each student to introduce him/herself to the class.  Then select pairs around the room (not sitting next to each other - opposite if possible). Next hand out a sheet of paper to each student and ask them the draw just the head/face of their "partner" adding specific items which will help recognize the person - glasses, hair, etc. (they MUST NOT add the name).  They don�t have to be artists that�s the best part of it.  When they have finished, collect them and redistribute them around the class being careful not to give them to the same students.  Each student must say who he/she thinks it is and what they know about him/her from the introductions they heard earlier.

2.  Get a volunteer to draw a quick outline of the country on the board.  This one works much better if they all come from the same country, but can be adapted in multi-national classes. Each student comes up to the board and puts a cross where he/she was born.  They then tell the class something about themselves, their families and the town they were born in.  Of course this may be limited depending on their English level, but it doesn�t matter.  I even added myself and started the exercise. 

Prepare a couple of revision exercises to get you over the first few lessons. They WILL need them!

You�ve come to the right place here, you�ll find plenty of good worksheets to use. Good luck !

Janet 

16 Jan 2022