Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ideas to start a unit about sports    

ideas to start a unit about sports

beefeater
Albania

ideas to start a unit about sports

hello everyone!
how would you start a unit about sports with students aged 12, basic level?
I appreciate your ideas! thanks!!!!

8 Sep 2022      

jannabanna
France

I suppose it would be a bit difficult at their level getting them to talk about which sport they do and why it appeals to them, but you could start by teaching the verbs we use to talk about sport (play,go,do).  I�m sure you�ll find a lot of exercises covering that here.  Teach or revise all the vocabulary that you will be covering in the unit. If there is a famous sportsman or sportswoman in your country you could try a short text on him or her.  Good luck!

8 Sep 2022     

beefeater
Albania

Thanks a lot for your time and ideas!

8 Sep 2022     

jen9222
China

I like using the Rio Olympic advert. It has lots of animals playing sports. I get my kids to watch and see what sports they know/recognise

9 Sep 2022     

beefeater
Albania

Thanks!!

11 Sep 2022     

douglas
United States

Depends on how good they are, but you could ask them if chess or E-gaming are sports and then guide the converstation from there (perhaps playing devil�s advocate at times)

12 Sep 2022     

FrauSue
France

Sports is a great topic to play charades with once you�ve learnt the basic vocabulary - they get given a sport at random (or choose one themselves) and act it out for a partner to guess.
You could also get them to rank sports they like and don�t like to play or to watch, rank the sports based on which are most or least suitable for a particular season or a particular terrain, etc.

It�s also a good topic for 20 questions - you can ask questions like, "Is it played inside?" - "Do you use a ball in this sport?" - "Is it a team sport?" etc. You need more language to manage that, however. 

12 Sep 2022