Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Au secours!    

Au secours!

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Au secours!

Hello French colleagues. Can you tell me how you refer to a pet? Is it un animal domestique/un animal de compagnie? What is a spindle on a staircase - is it une broche or un barreau? Is lightning always un eclair? If you say: there was lightning? how do you say that? 

Also: coquine! Does it just mean naughty, or is it rude? 
Thank you in advance.
Lynne  

13 Sep 2022      

mfraczek
France

Hello Lynne,
There isn�t much difference between "un animal de compagnie" and "un animal domestique", though I think "de compagnie" has a more positive connotation. Children would just say "un animal" (ex : As -tu un animal ?).
The word "broche d�escalier" corresponds to the vertical parts of a handrail only. It is a technical word, "barreau" is less specific. 
For there was lightning I would say, il y avait DES éclairs. 
Coquine means naughty but it some contexts it can have a sexual connotation.
I hope it helps.
Murielle 

14 Sep 2022     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Merci beaucoup Murielle!  This is what I meant by spindle - the white sticks and oops, he has broken a spindle. So I will use the word broche. 

Lynne 

How to Install Stair Spindles (DIY)

14 Sep 2022     

valodra
France

Hello Lynne ,
I fully agree with Murielle , but I �d never use "broche" ; I�d say "barreaux". 
Coquine means "nicely naughty "- if one can say that :-D when speaking about a young girl , BUT do not use this word when speaking about a female adult ;-)) ( = sexual connotation , as Murielle said.)
Hope you are fine ,
Val

14 Sep 2022     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you Valodra.

My friend, married to a French lady , calls her �coquine� from time to time. I looked it up and it said �naughty�. At my French conversation group, I called another woman �coquine!�.  Maybe �Vilaine� would be better! Mechante?   She did look a bit shocked, hopefully, just because she hadn�t heard the term before!

Lynne  

14 Sep 2022     

maryse pey�
France

COQUINE is for young girls and it is a kind word. A very weak reproach.

For adult females yes, there is a sexual connotation.

"Vilaine, méchante" or "tu n�es pas gentille", "tu es très désagréable" can be right and better fit NAUGHTY..

We may say "tu es une vraie PESTE !".

15 Sep 2022     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Merci, Maryse. That makes sense and thank you for the alternatives. I was wanting to make a joke when I called this lady �coquine� - she kept interrupting her husband with jokes and jibes. 

Lynne  

15 Sep 2022     

Babs1966
France

Hello,

Just a little ad on about " Broche" Broche can be a medical term kown as a pin or K-wire to fix broken bones together
also an other meaning for that word can be a piece of jewelry you can wear on your blouse. 

Enjoy your teaching  

23 Sep 2022     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you Babs.

25 Sep 2022