Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Open class    

Open class

cynab
Spain

Open class

Hello teachers!
I work in a billingual primary school and I have to prepare an open class for students of 3rd year and their parents. It is a class of just one hour but it is supposed to be creative (student �s should speak in english. Parents are not used to participate). 
The class has to be about preposition of place or about clothes. 
I really don �t know what to do, I want the class to be good but I cannot imagine something with any of those topics. If someone has any idea it would be great!!
Thanks a lot!! 

17 Mar 2009      

Etche
Argentina

Date:........./........../............

Form: 5th

Aim: Revision / Integration

Exponents: Clothes vocabulary and related words (Accessories such as; hat, make up, beard, earrings, moustaches, glasses and vocabulary such as; baggy, tight, long and short sleeved, checked, plain, patterned and striped )

N� of hours: Three periods.

*Warm up : I�ll do the warm up in the first period. I�ll greet my stdts and I�ll ask them how they are doing.

*Lead in stage: I�ll ask my stdts to open their books at page 18. There they have a similar fashion poster to the ones we are going to make. They�ll have to describe the pictures they see in the poster and read the correspondent description, which is next to each picture, in order to pave the way for the following activity.

*Activity .

*Make - and � do activity : Make a fashion poster ( in groups of two or three )

We�ll work with news papers and magazines. I�ll ask the stdts to find pictures of famous people and different clothes in the magazines or newspapers . Then I�ll tell them to cut out and then glue the pictures of a famous person�s face and the different clothes onto a card board, as it�s shown in the book .The idea is to dress up the famous people using different kind of clothes to make strange fashions. They can also draw extra things if they want to.

After the preparation of the posters they`ll have to describe the pictures and  invent names for their fashions, first written on the card boards and finally they�ll have to present the fashion poster to the class orally.

Then they�ll all have to vote for:

�        The strangest fashions

�        The funniest fashions

�        The ugliest fashions

*Presentation of the fashion posters.

Stdts work in groups to present their fashions. They hold up their posters and read out the description.

The rest of the stdts will have to pay attention so that they can vote for the different categories of fashions later. After that, I�ll display the posters in the classroom and we�ll add rosettes for the winners in each category and they�ll receive a prize.

*Aim of the activity: To revise clothes vocabulary, adjective order and people description. 

17 Mar 2009     

Etche
Argentina

This was a wonderful class I used with my 5th graders. You may addapt it to yoour sts age. Hope it helps!!!!

17 Mar 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

This is a classic opportunity to get both kids and parents involved in language learning.  Ask the parents to bring in a selection of extra clothes and then use them as manequins.  Get the kids to dress them up by giving instructions to one, who passes on to another etc.  Use your imagination how you can make it into a relay game, or demonstration of words etc.

No one sits as a silent observer in my class (unless I am being observed for performance) everyone is a participant and parents should be encouraged to be involved in their kids education, get them up and get them involved.

17 Mar 2009     

giovannademartin
Brazil

Children could use some of their parents clothes (it �s very cute!!! Mothers always cry - of anger because kids are using their new dresses or emotion)   and describe them to the whole class. They could also have a fashion show. (don �t forget to send a note to the parents asking for the clothes...Wink rsrsrs...)
Good luck!

17 Mar 2009     

lillizen
Brazil

Great idea, Giovanna!

"Children could use some of their parents clothes (it �s very cute!!!...)"

Totally agree! I have pics like that of when I was a child, from the times when cameras weren �t digital.... lol Something like over 20 years ago. I love those shots! :,)

17 Mar 2009     

Naranjas
Russian Federation

A nice idea is also to make a shop where parents will "sell" clothes to the children, though it needs pre-teaching some shopping phrases(I would like a ___________, can I have a ___________, Give me _________,please). Parents may only use "yes" and "no" and "here it is".
 (Or if your parents aren �t so easily involved you may make some better students shop-assistant and let them "help" the buyers:
-I would like a blue dress.
- We don �t have blue dresses. We have red dresses.
- Ok, I �ll take a red dress then. And I would like a red bag too. Do you have it?
- Yes, we do. We have this very nice one.
- Thank you.)
Though it �s hard to advise because I don �t know the level of your students. If they can �t pronounce such long phrases you can make it easier:
-A blue dress, please.
- Here it is.
- Thank you.

- A white hat, please.
- We don �t have white hats. We have red hats.
- I don �t want a red hat, thank you. Good bye.

17 Mar 2009     

Naranjas
Russian Federation

By the way there are many nice activities with prepositions of place too! First you show all of them by putting smth on/under/near/to the right of a table(or by climbung yourself if you like - I did it and the students were happy). Then you take something else, put it somewhere and ask where it is. Then you can tell a sentence, e.g. "The cat is on the table" and students say if it �s true or false. After that you can give them cards with the directions what to do or play a board game with such directions. Students enjoy being on or under the desks or putting candies inside their mouths!

The parents may join if you explain to them to show direction so that students make a sentence about it. For example smbs �s mother points at the floor and the students say: "the desks are on the floor".

It is also nice to play in pairs. One turns with his back to the other and guesses where the former put some subject, e.g. "Is the toy on the floor?"-"No, it isn �t"- "Is it under the desk?" - "Yes, it is." Then they change. Here you may also use parent �s help.

Hope it helped you Tongue

17 Mar 2009