Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Au secours    

Au secours

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Au secours

Hello any French colleagues. Everywhere in Italy and maybe in France too, you find little shrines dedicated to Saint Mary or other saints. I looked that word shrine up and got tombeau or sanctuaire. Is there any other word for what I mean? Merci en avance. Lynne 

15 Nov 2022      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Lynne,
I looked it up online and also found
le lieu de pelennage (lacking an accent on the first e)
le lieu saint 

Maybe this helps

Bruce 

15 Nov 2022     

karagozian
France

HI dearest Lynne
What about this :
Ch�sse : Coffre o� sont conserv�es les reliques d�un saint. Synonyme : coffre, bo�te, reliquaire �

15 Nov 2022     

Babs1966
France

Hello from France,

it�s a Stèle in French and Stele in English ;)
I hope it helps

Enjoy your teaching,
Barbara 

16 Nov 2022     

maryse pey�
France

I think you are talking about the "places" you find along some roads ?

"Lieu de p�lerinage", one of Bruce�s suggestions, is more a place like Compostelle for example, or a specific church or cathedral where you want to go or let an "ex-voto" (a message to thank God or a particular Saint) ; a lot of sailors did that in the past when they came back alive from a hazardous sailing.

You may think of "niche votive", small places where prayers can let some flowers, a candle to give strength to their pray.

If ever you like Fernandel and Gino Cervi in the funny series "Don Camillo" you can see, in 1 film, an argument about a very small rock where there is a small statue of the Virgin to preserve.

And if it is what I think of you find a lot of these things in Corsica. 

16 Nov 2022     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you dear friends. Very helpful. I am enjoying my French conversation groups so much. 
Lynne  

16 Nov 2022     

FrauSue
France

I was going to suggest niche votive too.
There are also lots of calvaires, especially near where we go on holiday in Brittany: these are roadside crosses. 

18 Nov 2022     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you. I am making a short presentation to my French group on Tuesday and these posts have been very helpful. 
Lynne  

19 Nov 2022