Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please Help me    

Please Help me

miss noor
Palestine

Please Help me

Hi,
I hope you are o �k

Please tell me what do you know about  this expression :
How do you do ?

When is it used ?   With who ?

Tell me please

I searched about it but I didn �t find anything.

Regards,
Noor

17 Mar 2009      

alien boy
Japan

Hi Noor!

from Swan:

When people are introduced, they usually say �How do you do?� (formal), �Hello�, or �Hi� (informal). Americans often say �How are you?� Note that �How do you do?� is not a question, and the normal reply is �How do you do?� (It does not mean the same, in British English, as �How are you?�) Another possible response is �Glad/ Pleased to meet you.�

Cheers,
AB

17 Mar 2009     

mariajoaopt
Portugal

Hi, How do you do! you normally used in a formal way. and the answer is the some. The difference is: How are you! is the informal way, and the other is the formal. That�s it.

17 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

Very British and not used much.

17 Mar 2009     

miss noor
Palestine

Thanks for ur replyng

I have to learn this expression to my students it is in their book

so, I want more information about it

17 Mar 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

We normally use �how do you do � when we meet someone  for the first time.  It is more formal. I would agree with Alien Boy.  We are not asking a question, we are just saying pleased to meet you. When we meet the person for a second time we would normally say �how are you �?

17 Mar 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

"How do you do?" is a formal greeting used only when you meet somebody for the first time -generally in formal introductions- and the reply should be the same: How do you do?, meaning something like "Pleased to meet you"
Although it is a question, there is no answer expected.

Anyway, it is not so frequently heard at present being replaced by "Nice/Pleased to meet you"

17 Mar 2009