Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > the difference between shortness and shortage?    

the difference between shortness and shortage?

medamine
Tunisia

the difference between shortness and shortage?

please i need your help with the following point. I lately gave my student the following  tense/ form task

:

�UNESCO says there needs to be a huge effort to get the 69 million teachers. At the moment, UNESCO says there are "massive (short)  .................................     " of teachers around the world. There are (current) ............................... 263 million children who do not go to school. Around 25 million of these might never get an education.�
my question is concerning short ,  can we use shortnesses here instead of the right answer  which is shortages as we talk about the lack or not having enough of something.
Thanks in advance 

12 May 2023      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

No. It has to be shortages. Shortness refers to being short in the physical sense. 

12 May 2023     

medamine
Tunisia

thanks a lot dear cunliffe.

13 May 2023