Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Not sure    

Not sure

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Not sure

Dear colleagues,

I need to ask you for help.
I have got this sentence:

Binges are often  followed by compensatory pause periods that are an attempt to get rid of the consumed food and calories.

I wonder if the phrase pause periods is OK, namely I expected purge periods. Does the above sentence make sense anyway?

Thank you for your answers.

14 May 2023      

douglas
United States

pause periods is okay-- purge seems to paint a slightly different image (like vomiting it out)

15 May 2023     

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

Dear Douglas,

You are always so helpful. Thank you. 

16 May 2023     

OLDDIE
Italy

I would say purge rather than pause. The sentence goes on to say "that are an attempt to get rid of the consumed food and calories". I expect it�s related to binge eating which would make sense. The person eats then tries to vomit it out to compensate for eating so much. But that�s my opinion.

16 May 2023     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I would prefer periods/spells of purging to purge periodsDouglas and olddie have got it right - vomiting, as in what people with the eating disorder bulimia do. 

16 May 2023