Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Writing formal letters    

Writing formal letters

aldonza
Spain

Writing formal letters

Hi there, I�ve got a question regarding FORMAL LETTERS in Advanced English. I have been taught the use of present simple to state the purpose of my letter: "If write to express my dissatisfaction...", However, the use of present continuous seems to be more frequent, "I am writing to express my dissatisfaction" Is the use of present simple not correct any more? Thanks in advance!

19 Jul 2023      

douglas
United States

I don�t know about the official "rules", but I usually use the present continuous "I am writing to express my dissatisfaction..."

21 Jul 2023     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Agree - I would use present continuous. The present simple, in my humble opinion, sounds rather pompous! 

21 Jul 2023     

swooptaxi
United Kingdom

hhhiiiii

25 Jul 2023     

mfraczek
France

Hello everyone,
I don�t know how to delete swooptaxi�s message,... It�s pure advertising for his/her taxi company. So I�m trying  to push the message away. 
Any ideas how we can  delete it?
 Hugs from Burgundy.
Murielle 

25 Jul 2023     

kohai
Latvia

You did the right thing, Murielle!
Hugs!

27 Jul 2023     

aldonza
Spain

According to Michael Swan in his "Practical English Usage", present simple is preferred in formal letters, as present progressive is less formal: 
"We write to advise you ....." is more formal than "we are writing to advise you...."
In the same way,  "I look forward to hearing from you..."  is more formal (and preferred in formal letters) than
 "I am looking forward to hearing from you". 

Well, as you say, grammar rules may be different from the general use. So, I do thank you, Douglas and Cunliffe, for your answers.
As a teacher of English teaching how to write a formal letter to my advanced students what should I tell them to use then? I assume present continuous is the best option, isn�t it?

Thanks in advance 

28 Jul 2023     

danielwilson
American Samoa

Hello, You�ve raised an interesting question about the use of tenses in formal letters. Both the present simple and present continuous tenses are commonly used to state the purpose of a letter, and neither is incorrect. The choice between them often comes down to personal style and context. Using the present simple, such as "I write to express my dissatisfaction," can convey a sense of directness and formality. It�s a straightforward way to state your purpose without any additional nuances. On the other hand, the present continuous, like "I am writing to express my dissatisfaction," can add a touch of immediacy to your statement. It might suggest that you are in the process of composing the letter as you write that sentence, which can create a slightly more engaging tone. Both options are grammatically correct, and the decision ultimately depends on the tone and emphasis you wish to convey. Feel free to choose the one that best suits your writing style and the overall tone of your formal letter. Best regards, Danial from online service Do my course for me

2 Aug 2023     

sadiaafzaal812
India

Certainly - I would recommend opting for the present continuous tense for better accuracy, especially when discussing "construction work gloves." In my humble opinion, using the present simple tense in this context might come across as a bit formal and self-important.

28 Aug 2023     

aldonza
Spain

thanks so much for your answers!

16 Oct 2023