Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Can we use     

Can we use

gooya
Iran

Can we use

Hello My dear colleagues
I studied before that we should put subjective pronouns after "than" in this sentence " You are older than I" But I saw a sentence in Cambridge Dic. Just because you´re older than me does´nt mean you can tell me what to do.
Can you tell me why????? 

26 Oct 2023      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi there! Most people would say better than me, better than him/her/them.
I googled Merriam Webster, which says that people using the subject pronoun are grammar enthusiasts who believe that than can only be a conjunction. However, it can also be a preposition, which it is here. 

28 Oct 2023     

Mandolina
United Kingdom

I agree with cunliffe. Both of those usages are correct. 

Cunliffe�s worksheets are quite nice, as well. Why not check them out, anyone reading this?  

28 Oct 2023     

kohai
Latvia

@Mandolina, I fully agree with you. Cunliffe�s worksheets are not only nice, but they are also original and easy to use. They are written in beautiful language by a native speaker, and they always come with the answer key. I used to follow her work and read her stories with excitement. I always thought she should have either sold them individually or collected and published them in a book. However, just like Karagozian, she never listens to my advice!

28 Oct 2023     

Mandolina
United Kingdom

Bless you, Ruta! 

29 Oct 2023     

spinney
United Kingdom

I think Mandonlina�s worksheets are very nice, too. They are almost as good as Cunliffe�s. 

30 Oct 2023     

Mandolina
United Kingdom

Thank you very much spinney! I keep trying but I will never match cunliffe

Lynne  

31 Oct 2023